Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

double sided printing with HP Photosmart 5280 All in One

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  TerryNet 
#1 ·
I'm not sure this is the right category to ask for help with this but someone will tell me, I'm sure.

I have struggled incessantly to get HP 5280 to print correctly on both sides. The laborious way, of course, is to insert all the odd numbers, then switch the pages round and insert all the even numbers. but when I ask HP to print odd and even pages it seems that what I know as odd and even doesn't correspond with what HP believes! So I then resort to entering pages manually as mentioned above. This, of course, takes some time.

So I tried duplex printing manually. Sounded easy but - why, when I ask for pages 1-6 for instance, do I only get some of them? I tried doing it the hard way by inserting page numbers but then HP decides to print pages 1,5,9 etc instead of 1,3,5,7,9. I followed the onscreen instructions re turning the pages round but the numbers are then no longer sequential and some are even missing altogether.

As I do a lot of printing out of chapters with numbered pages this is so frustrating.
Can anyone please give me easy step by step instructions on how to do duplex printing? I would be so grateful if someone can tell me how.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd move the thread for you, but not sure whether any other forum would be better.

I can tell you from experience that the easy way is with a printer (e.g., my HP Photosmart C310A) with Automatic Duplexing. Tell it to print double sided and sit back and listen to it churn away. :)

With my previous HP Photosmart I'd tell it to print odd pages, reinsert them in the paper tray sometimes remembering the correct way, and then print the even pages. In addition to learning/remembering how to reinsert the one-side-printed pages the other two "tricks" were that one (and only one) of the prints had to be in reverse order and if there were more odd numbered pages than even numbered the last odd numbered page had to be not reinserted for the second print.

I make no claim that those instructions are "easy," but I got good results when I managed to follow them.

#4 ·
I followed the instructions on the video to the letter but with duplex printing it still doesn't work. The numbered pages are 1,5 and not 1,3,5. Then when I try to continue I get 2 followed by a blank page. There must be a box somewhere that needs checking or unchecking but I can't find it.

However, the other instructions for printing (odd pages then even pages) work as long as I change the print order. I had to change from Front to Back to Back to Front or I'd get the wrong numbers on the back of the wrong pages. The person on the video neglected to mention that.

I appreciate the help but would still like to find out why duplex printing doesn't work for me.

#8 ·
For manual duplex printing does the software (supposedly) take care of the even/odd printing and the reverse to get the front and back of each page correct but pauses and directs you to reinsert the paper after one side is printed?

#10 ·
Make sure you have the latest software package from HP's web site (perhaps there was a bug in earlier version).

Sounds like possibly you are not understanding something about which option(s) to choose or there is a bug in HP's software. Thus, I suggest you study that section of the user guide again assuming you must have missed something. Then contact HP by email or chat for help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.