1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Double-sided printing

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by domz69, Nov 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. domz69

domz69 Thread Starter

I've got a nagging printer problem. I'm running an HP Deskjet 932C on Windows XP and MS Word97. At first, I was unable to configure the software to print double-sided. I hired a computer pro to correct that issue. Now, however, it ALWAYS wants to print double-sided, even if I am only trying to print a one-paragraph, one page document. It requires me to "continue" or "cancel". When I select either on a one-page document, it simply runs out a blank page. Very annoying.

2. Miz

Miz

It sounds like the printer's software has been set to print double sided by default.

Instead of using the print button on the toolbar to print, go to File>Print instead. That should open the printer software where you can make the appropriate selections for the document you're printing.

Keep in mind that many programs, like MS Word, will use those changed settings for subsequent documents printed during the same session. To reset the printer's options back to default, either go back into File>Print and undo the changes you made or close the program and reopen it to start a new session.

3. RT

RT

Hello and welcome to TSG, domz69.

Another way to quickly turn on/off two-sided printing:

Open the HP Toolbox, click the Configuration tab.
    Uncheck the box for Automatic two-sided printing module.
    This should deactivated the module. Remember to turn it back on when you want to print on both sides.

If you leave the module connected to the printer all the time, it might be better to use Miz's suggestion,
    From Word 97, File>Print...
    Hit the Properties button, then the Features tab.

(And you can get to the printer properties from Control Panel as well)

4. domz69

domz69 Thread Starter

Miz,
    Thanks for your suggestion. I used your procedure successfully and will remember it. However, before the problem started, the software would, when I had a multi-page job, prompt me to re-insert my printed pages so it could print the second side. When I only had a one-page job, it would NOT prompt me. In other words, it was configured to always prompt me when there was a multi-page job and not prompt me when there wasn't. And it did this w/o my needing to go to File>Print. Is there not a way for me to configure the software so that I can avoid having to manually tell the software what to do w/ the job each time I run a job?

Thanks.

5. domz69

domz69 Thread Starter

RT,
    Thanks for your suggestion. However, before the problem started, the software would, when I had a multi-page job, prompt me to re-insert my printed pages so it could print the second side. When I only had a one-page job, it would NOT prompt me. In other words, it was configured to always prompt me when there was a multi-page job and not prompt me when there wasn't. And it did this w/o my needing to go to the HP Toolbox. Is there not a way for me to configure the software so that I can avoid having to manually tell the software what to do w/ the job each time I run a job?

Thanks.

6. RT

RT

Look in your printer properties (sometimes referred to as 'preferences' depending how you navigate to it).
    See if you have "Start printing from last page" (sometimes this is called "Print in reverse order") checked.
    If so, uncheck it and give a try.

If no luck with that, try returning your printer to the original factory default settings.

7. domz69

domz69 Thread Starter

RT,
    Thanks for your suggestions. I went to preferences, and "start printing from last page" was already turned off. I then selected "factory settings" to return to original default settings, although that required that I select "two-sided printing" again after I went to default. Nevertheless, I'm still being prompted to print page two on a one-page document.

8. RT

RT

Well, here's two more tries at this.

In printer preferences, Features tab, where you can make your 'two-sided printing' choice - is there an Automatic setting you can tic?
    (It's not there in my version of the software, but it shows in the manual for your printer)

Which brings me to suggest that you go HERE to see if you have the latest drivers and updates.
    Though your model isn't listed specifically on the download page, you can allow HP to automatically check to see if you need an update by clicking that phrase on the webpage. This is a shot in the dark, because the "latest" downloads there are dated 2002.

I hesitate to suggest unistalling the printer and software, then re-installing because of the problems you mentioned in your first post.

9. domz69

domz69 Thread Starter

RT,
    Thanks again. On your suggestion, I looked for the "auto" setting, but all I have is "automatic image enhancement." As for checking for whether I need an update, it appears that the System 2 pack I just loaded from MS is not allowing me to do the check. :^(

10. RT

RT

Foiled, again :mad:
    You're welcome for the input domz69, sorry there is no joy yet.

Did this behavior happen to co-incide with your download of SP2?

If it did, you might hazard an uninstall/re-install.
    If it did not, I will contact our resident Office experts to see if maybe Word could somehow be at fault (another stab in the dark).

Otherwise, as my brain cells are dwindling, maybe you could try to contact HP support and hopefully sort it out.

11. RT

RT

Foiled, again :mad:
    You're welcome for the input domz69, sorry there is no joy yet.

Did this behavior happen to co-incide with your download of SP2?

If it did, you might hazard an uninstall/re-install.
    If it did not, I will contact our resident Office experts to see if maybe Word could somehow be at fault( I doubt it, tho).

Otherwise, as my brain cells are dwindling, maybe you could try to contact HP support (in pite of the hassle :rolleyes: ) and hopefully sort it out.

12. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

This is a stab in the dark.........but......did the 'computer pro' create a macro in Word that automatically sets the double side print option?

13. domz69

domz69 Thread Starter

RT and AcaCandy,
    Thank you for your thoughts. First, the problem began before I installed SP2. Also, I contacted my "computer pro" today to report the problem (the guy who changed my printing from NEVER double-siding to ALWAYS double-siding). He was not in, but his supervisor indicated that it is likely that the problem is probably due to a recent software upgrade I did (either going to Windows XP or upgrading to a more recent version of MS Word). In other words, like it or not, I may need to accept the fact that the upgrade now means I'll need to always manually select one-sided or two-sided printing based on whether I've got a one-page or multi-page job. Admittedly clunky, but I guess I'll have to live w/ such misery. :^(

14. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I don't think so.......tell him nice try ;)

There is a setting somewhere there, either on your printer software or in Word. Look at the file/print properties everywhere.......we'll get to the bottom of this :D

15. RT

RT

Thanks for the assist, Candy :)

Been doin' a bit of experimenting....

domz69, it this the prompt you get when you try to print?
    If it is it means you either are not using the automatic two-sided printer device (the physical module), or you don't have it enabled via the HP Toolbox.
    That is also why you don't have the Automatic option listed in the printer preferences/features area.

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/296953

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice