1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Doubling my ram.. should I see a difference?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Monk, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Monk

Monk Thread Starter

From 512 to 1 gig... Should I see a performance difference? I have a AMD 2700+ with a 120gb hd. The Ram with be pc3200 DDR. My motherboard is (i think, im not at my desktop atm) Asus A7V8X-X.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You probably will be hard pressed to notice ANY difference, unless you're running a memory intensive CAD application like Catia or Unigraphics. The average user is wasting his money expanding beyond 512mb.

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

You won't see much day to day. I am loaded for bear and haven't seen much difference since I left 512 meg. The great thing is I know for a fact I am never going to run low on memory.:)

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

:) John, If I try really really hard I can see a slight difference. Actually your money would be better spent elsewhere. JohnWill tells it like it is. Your CPU would hold you back with a gig of ram. Mine does.

5. Monk

Monk Thread Starter

so then... you recommend NOT getting it then?:p

I do use multiple programs at once (dreamweaver, Adobe photoshop, browsers etc).. But If you think that it wont help , then I Shall save my 150 bucks:)

6. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

It won't matter. Test it for yourself. Open about 2-3 programs at once and then bring up task manager. You will still have about 100 meg at least not being used.

7. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

I was running ad-aware, spybot, diskeeper,spysweeper, and photoimpact xl when I took this grab. Look at what I have left. LOL

Attached Files:

8. upl1nk

upl1nk

LOL... it depend on what you basicly do with youre computer... pressed gaming... YES buy RAM... pressed CAD... YES... but only if you have a decent CPU over 2.8 is OK... but you wont notice any difference if you just use simple taks like office or webdesingning... It's basicly up to your own judgemnent... a computer reflects usualy it's owner...

9. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Yeah, I game. My vid card handles that part. I am into overkill which is why I am running 1280 megs of ram.:) My cpu is damed near maxxed out and I have over 700 megs of ram left in the picture above. I could get along on 512 though. The only game I run that might dip into my system memory is doom 3 and I can't stand that game. What a waste of my cash.(n)

10. Monk

Monk Thread Starter

I do heavy gaming and I have an nvidia FX5600xt 128 mb card. Still think I might not need it? Or will my gaming improve with those specs (and the ones I provided above)

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

It won't hurt you, but I have my doubts about how much good it will do you. You will see a little something.

12. upl1nk

upl1nk

;) trust me you'll defenetly notice changes on smother rendering and faster loading time... and best you get charged up for newer games to come... Gamers don't like to wait... since you are a gamer... why should you wait?... one thing you are right... 512 should've hold up for the moment and if you waited a while RAM prices would lower and you woldn't feel robbed... but... now that it's bought... don't think about it... just enjoy your fast loadings... :) (y)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276408

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice