Doubt on wireless networking

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Help_M

Hi
I have a laptop and an iPad. I want to set up a wireless network to use the ipad. Now after setting it up using the laptop, do I always need to keep the laptop plugged in to the router using the ethernet cable or can I disconnect it, and use the wifi on the laptop?

etaf

First Name
Wayne
do I always need to keep the laptop plugged in to the router using the ethernet cable
if you have set up ICS or bridge on the laptop to enable the IPAD to share you laptop internet connection - then
YES you do need to keep the laptop connected as that is how the ipad is access the internet - you may want to consider getting a wireless router

Help_M

Well yes partially. Because my LAN connection is not working, it would be no point buying a wireless router. So am trying to get that fixed first.
So am I to believe that if I get a wireless network going through a router then I can use my laptop also on the wireless, without having to attach the ethernet cable? Other wise it would suck having to use my laptop as a desktop all the time.

etaf

First Name
Wayne
if you have a wireless router - ALL devices can be connected to the wireless and no need to have any device connected by cable

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts