1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Doubt on wireless networking

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Help_M, Dec 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Help_M

Help_M Thread Starter

Hi
    I have a laptop and an iPad. I want to set up a wireless network to use the ipad. Now after setting it up using the laptop, do I always need to keep the laptop plugged in to the router using the ethernet cable or can I disconnect it, and use the wifi on the laptop?

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you have set up ICS or bridge on the laptop to enable the IPAD to share you laptop internet connection - then
    YES you do need to keep the laptop connected as that is how the ipad is access the internet - you may want to consider getting a wireless router

3. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  4. Help_M

Help_M Thread Starter

Well yes partially. Because my LAN connection is not working, it would be no point buying a wireless router. So am trying to get that fixed first.
    So am I to believe that if I get a wireless network going through a router then I can use my laptop also on the wireless, without having to attach the ethernet cable? Other wise it would suck having to use my laptop as a desktop all the time.

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    if you have a wireless router - ALL devices can be connected to the wireless and no need to have any device connected by cable

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1029179

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice