1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Down Lights Affecting Digital TV Signal

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SeanKeith, Apr 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SeanKeith

SeanKeith Thread Starter

I know this probably isn't the right site to be posting a question in this area but this site always gives me good results.

When ever I'm watching channel 7 or 7 Two and I switch on the down lights in the next room on, the signal dies to about 25% which gives a horrible picture and odd sounds. Keep in mind this is digital TV.

The down lights are 12V. When we unplugged one down light closest to the TV it improved immediately then after a few minutes the signal started playing up again.

I get a feeling that the oven might have a role in this as well. The oven is electric. It could also be a electric fry pan that cuts in and out while cooking.

does this sound anywhere near right? If not what could it be? If so is there a way to fix it?

2. Koot

Koot

You have a bad (loose) connection that is somewhere upstream in your electrical system, which is affecting various circuits within the house. It's almost certainly located in your panel (load center) or in the watt-hour meter socket base. If the problem only affects some circuits (oven, fry pan, television, etc.), but not all circuits, then your problem connection is with one (of the two) hot wires. If the problem affects all the circuits throughout the entire house your problem connection is likely the neutral wire. My guess is that you have a loose connection with one of your [two] hot wires in either the panel (load center) or in the watt-hour meter socket base.

3. jack-o-bytes

jack-o-bytes

I have the same sort of thing with my Digital TV box. Whenever I turn my bedroom light on the sounds stops for a while and sometimes requires me to change down and then back up a channel to get it back again. I think it is electrical interference or something like that.

4. SeanKeith

SeanKeith Thread Starter

so the only way to fix this is to get in a technician? I'm highly UNTRAINED in this area.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917240

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice