1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Down memory lane on Word 2002XP

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by lwiener, May 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lwiener

lwiener Thread Starter

First Name:
    Len
    For obscure reasons I am trying to keep an old Dell, Windows XP and Word 2002 running. But suddenly Word freezes during entry of text. It may have started after Avast AntiVirus installed wdf01009 during a program upgdate. I used system restore to go to an earlier date and Word seemed to work OK again but then wdf01009 showed up again possibly because of a mistake on my part in choosing what to download from Avast. I am now at a loss; newer restores didn't work or helped the situation only for a brief time. Now somehow most of my earlier restore points are gone and some of the few left won't do a restore. I tried to "fix" word through the erase-fix program link in Control Panel, but no avail. Then I tried to reinstall Word but there were a few registry changes it said it couldn't do and even after the installation the freeze problem was not resolved. I also tried to reinstall from my Word CD but no good. And now the Control Panel option doesn't work saying I am missing a valid recovery or fix up package or something like that. My flailing about and deleting some stuff problably did more harm and maybe erased some needed items even for a fresh delete and install of Word. I know: The answer is to give up the ghost, upgrade this outdated computer and program. But maybe there is some interim way to get this old setup running for its limited use. I admit to making maybe a hash out of it all.

2. Keebellah

Keebellah Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Hans
    Hi Len,
    Welcome, sounds bad to me.
    I honestly don't have quick answer/solution for you. I does seem that you probably deleted too many files and that's not good.
    If it really doesn't work anymore, I would try and make sure the Windows XP still runs correctly and back it up.
    Does the rest of the Office 2002 still work?
    Did you try the steps explained on this link?
    https://kb.wisc.edu/page.php?id=479
    I found this site but don't know if it works,
    http://www.repairmyword.com/repair-word-download.php
    Good luck.

BTW, I had quite a few issues with Avast Antivirus, especially that it's offered with applications like CCleaner and it really 'busted'my system.
    I use removal programs but still had to go through the registry to really remove everything, I don't like that type of 'offers'

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1210130

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice