1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Down to communicating on my iphone

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by bsacco, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

My PC had a major blue screen of death. Rebooted and worked a few times more. Now won’t boot into OS. I inserted the original Win 7 pro install disc thinking I could repair instead the disc automatically reinstalled Win 7. Now pc boots into new Win7 but when I click on anything even a browser nothing happens. What happened? I can’t even access the internet. I’m completely stumped and I surrender. Is this something tech guy support help with? Or is too difficult? Let me know my options

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    All we know is that you installed Windows 7 pro from a DVD. You told us nothing about the brand and exact model of computer and what BSOD error messages appeared.

3. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

Sorry about that... busy day:)
    I’m running a Dell 8700 xps. Win7 os.
    I tried running the Win7 install disc to repair os but it failed. Then it launched into a complete reinstall of the os. Now when I boot I get the either the attached error message or it sort of boots but nothing I click on opens or works. So, I’m thinking my C drive (SSD) is corrupted?

Attached Files:

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
  5. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

Hi Guys, I apologize for the delay. My request was vague and too complicated to write out. So, I thought I would tackle the problem to see if I could move it forward so that I could explain my needs.

OK, so I got the PC to boot. Good thing. But here's what went wrong and what i have to fix now. I installed two WIN7 installes onto my 240GB SSD C Drive. Obviously, I found the good install or elese I wouldn't be here replying. THe install , I assumed puked because there wasn't enough room on the 240GM SSD to handle two Win7 installs.

So, When I go to the C Drive and view it under Disk Management it shows two partitions. One for 100MG and another for 233GB. (See uploaded image file).

So, here are my goals:

1) remove the (extra) bad Win7 install
    2) remove the extra (2nd 100MG ) partition on my C Drive.
    3) Use Intel's Data migration tool to make a clean copy of my good Win7 install onto another (larger replacement SSD which 2X the size - 480MG)
    4) Install that new 480GB SSD as my new C Drive.

I'm running a Dell XPS 8700, Win 7.

-bob

Attached Files:

6. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Why do steps 1 to 3 if you want to use another SSD as the C drive? I would just install straight to the new SSD, copy any data that may have survived your previous reinstall, and then delete all the partitions off the orginal SSD and create a new single partition.

Also the 100MB partition is required to exist on the boot drive, so for now you need it for Windows to boot and work.

8. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

Well, i used the Intel data migration tool to clone the old C drive over to the larger new C Drive. It boots. My only concern is that the OS I copied is NOT a CLEAN install since it's a copy of the old OS that was giving me problems. I wish i got your message earlier, I would have followed your instructions.

Is their any way to do a CLEAN install of the OS without wiping out all my current installed programs?

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can still do a clean install now. But no, a clean install will not keep you programs or data. Data you can backup, programs you would need to reinstall.

10. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

I see. thanks. Is there a way to get a snapshot of all the programs you have installed so that you can retrace your steps to get everything re-installed?

11. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can go to Programs & Features in the Control Panel, it should list all installed programs.

12. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

Man, someone should create a program that fetches all your programs and their KEYs and prepares a DOC for you reinstallation. Are you in? Let's do it!

13. bsacco

bsacco Thread Starter

addition question. Do you happen to know what is the max size internal HD I can run in my Dell XPS 8700? 1TB, 2TB, 4TB or 8TB?

I was thinking of installing a hard drive that would dedicated to backing up my PC. Right now, all the backups are clogging up my other drives that are hold data. Is it better to install an internal drive for this purpose of backup ? Or is it better just to buy an external USB HARD drive for storage? What's your opinion?

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You could use Belarc, it will give you a list, but there';s also many others: https://www.belarc.com/products_belarc_advisor

The 8700 is pretty new so it does not have a 2TB hard drive limit, so probably any size drive.

But an internal hard drive for backup is not really a good backup, it prone to many things that would affect the main drive like malware, power surges, theft, etc.. A proper backup should be isolated from the computer. Buy an external drive or use cloud backup like Carbonite.

15. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I keep my image drives portable and unattached to the computers.
    If the computer gets ransomeware, you pull the computer off the internet, restore the newest image which did not get infected because it was not attached to the computer, and in under an hour, you are back in business only having to do a few updates. (I image about every 4 - 6 weeks and write down what changes I made so when I need to restore, I know exactly what needs updating).

valis likes this.
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214727

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice