1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Downgrade fail. USB ports not working

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by IFailAtPC, Aug 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. IFailAtPC

IFailAtPC Thread Starter

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I'm gonna try here...

So, I got a new PC. It had a Windows 10 trial version on it, and since I'm not rich, I decided to install my current Windows 7 on it instead.
    HOWEVER
    I forgot to check compatibility and such. As it turns out, my motherboard (Gigabyte 100-series) is compatible with Win7, but you need to add USB drivers to the ISO before installing. I will mention, I have no optical drive in my new PC.
    I only noticed the USB thing afterwards, and now I can't really do anything. It won't register USB inputs, so I can't install drivers. It does not have drivers for any internet connections, either. I do have a Windows.old folder, which I was hoping I could use to install the drivers I needed. Maybe I'm just an idiot?
    Either way, any help would be appreciated, as I'm now sitting here with a PC that's basically not working.

Can anyone help me?

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Hi IFailAtPC, and welcome to TSG.

I may not have a solution available, but it might help someone here to help you if you told us the manufacturer and full model number of the PC and motherboard.

Computers sold by major computer manufacturers to home users typically come with a fully licensed version of MS-Windows that is not a trial version. There may be an offer to pay for an upgrade.

Exactly how did you install Windows 7?

3. IFailAtPC

IFailAtPC Thread Starter

I don't know about the PC, to be honest. I bought it from Fierce PC. The motherboard is a Gigabyte H110M-S2H I think it was. It's not a custom build, as I'm not really that good with that stuff.

This one did NOT come with a licensed Windows. It's listed as being sold with no OS, but it did have a Win10 trial, as I said before.

I installed the Win7 from an ISO file, to get a trial version to activate later.

4. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    Then what did you hope to install on it? About the only thing you can install is linux.

Unfortunately, you can not install Windows 7 running on one computer to a 2nd computer unless you are a business and purchase volume licenses.
    If your first computer is a name brand, chances are it is an OEM install and is tied to that particular computer.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...omputers/00f07c2f-35bf-489d-a11e-6cd1c37bef03

5. IFailAtPC

IFailAtPC Thread Starter

I was hoping to install Win7, obviously, but as you noted I can only have my copy running on one PC at a time, which I did not know.
    After hours of trying to fix my problem, I'm finally giving in and getting Win10. Topic closed, idiot out!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1214034

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice