1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downgrade From Vista to XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by chr630oha, Dec 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. chr630oha

chr630oha Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have an HP Pavilion that I purchased years ago. It came with Windows XP Media Ctr edition 2005 pr-installed but sometime later, due to viruses and freeze ups, I upgraded to Vista Business while completely reformatting my hard drive.
    I want to reinstall the original factory Windows XP but I do not have a CD. It never came with one.
    I can no longer reinstall from my i386 internal folder as I reformatted the drive.
    Is there anyway of downgrading back to XP without a CD.
    Ultimately I would like to reformat the hard drive while downgrading but I don't have to.
    Any input or advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. raybro

raybro

I think you are stuck with attempting to purchasing a recovery CD from HP. I've no idea about cost or availability.

Take a look at this link about how to try getting one.

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO

First Name:
    SUE
    The recovery disks from hp are usually about 27 dollars if they are available for that model. if not there might be other places online that sell the correct restore/recovery disks needed.you might be able to see if it qualifies for an upgrade to windows 7 providing that the computer isnt real old and has windows 7 drivers and enough ram to do so.i love windows xp but sometimes its not feasible to go back to it for whatever reason but to move forward with windows 7. if you can run vista in it you might be able to run windows 7 in it.

4. chr630oha

chr630oha Thread Starter

I was told that I could find free windows xp OS torrent downloads online, is this true?
    any torrent website you'd recommend.
    I can't believe they don't make these OS files free to download. How far can you go without a legit product key anyway?
    This is so frustrating.
    Thanks for your help. I will check out what you recommended also.

5. narcjoe

narcjoe

< content that breaches forum guidelines removed>

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

chr630oha, there are no legal downloads for Windows XP (unless you have an account with Microsoft that permits it, which you don't appear to have). As mentioned above, you may be able to buy a recovery CD. Windows XP is also still available at retail of you look around.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the model number of that HP Pavilion?

If you don't know for sure, advise what the product number(P/N) and/or model number(M/N) on the sticker is.

Once the identity of that computer is confirmed, we can determine if a recovery disc kit is still available for it.

--------------------------------------------------------

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081784

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice