1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downgrade from win7 to win xp

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by noru2, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. noru2

noru2 Thread Starter

I have a small form factor win7 home and a win 7 pro 64 bit pc. I cannot run virtual XP on either machine. How do I remove win 7 and install winXP on the smaller pc? I own a legitimate copy of XP pro. There must be a reasonably simple way; maybe formatting the disk from a cd or dvd. Any help will be appreciated.

noru

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    VMware Player 6.0.4 works fine for me for running Windows XP Professional SP3 32-bit in virtual mode in both my Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 32-bit and Windows 7 Professional SP1 32-bit desktops. (y)

Since both of your computers are running Windows 7 64-bit, you can install and use VMware Player 7.0.0.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Before you downgrade one of those Windows 7 64-bit computers to Windows XP 32-bit, make sure that Windows XP drivers exist for all of its devices.

I assume that copy of Windows XP has a legal key to activate it?

-----------------------------------------------------------

3. noru2

noru2 Thread Starter

Yes, my copy is legal. The reason I want XP is that I have several DOS programs that I like to run. I will take a look at your suggestion and see if it will work. Thanks a lot.

4. noru2

noru2 Thread Starter

Frank, I have downloaded and installed the recommended software. This stuff is usually intuitive to me, but I am slowing down, will be 88 next month. I checked a box during the installation that said I would use a dvd later, but I don't know when this is supposed to happen. Can you give me a few general instructions to go by and I will try to find out reading the help section. This program looks like what I need because the PC's would not set up the Virtual XP because of shortcomings in my PC.

noru2

5. noru2

noru2 Thread Starter

Frank, I have spent about an hour reading the help section, etc., but I am too slow to pick it up quickly. I know this is what I need, and am determined to make it work. By the way I downloaded version ?.0.0 and immediately was greeted with, "version ?.0.5 is available; download now" I did but it make no difference to me. As yet I do not understand exactly what this program is supposed to do, but I never give up. I will figure out how to use it - it looks like a wonderful software for free use to individuals.

[email addr. and phone # deleted by mod]

noru (Norman)

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I deleted your email address and phone number. No sense in encouraging spam. And please note that our rules require all help to be here on the public forum.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    VMWare Player creates a virtual machine (computer). In my attachment please see the virtual machine I created using an equivalent program (VirtualBox). Then you install XP onto that virtual computer the same as you would install it onto a real computer. And then you can boot the XP and run it on the virtual computer. The virtual computer then appears as a window on your host system.

Attached Files:

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I suggest that you do not immediately enter your XP Product Key. Wait a couple days to make sure the virtual machine is really the way you want to use it.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142332

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice