1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

downgrade to W98 from W2k

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by catskill516, Sep 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. catskill516

catskill516 Thread Starter

i think my C drive is dying,so i am looking to install win98 on my "new,bigger" D drive.then proceed to copy all of Win2k to new D drive.the only cd i have is win98.will this work?If not,what do i do?I am cluless on how to reformatt also :eek:

2. kodi

kodi

Are these seperate harddrives or partitions on the same disk?

3. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

win98 cant be installed onto an ntfs drive make. i just say backup securely all good data to places that wont be destroyed. have a fat32 partition. and than install windows 98 there. use 'puter geeks (its a site) method of installing 98.

4. natcom

natcom

why do you think your hard drive is dying ?

5. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

ya first you should have posted something like please help, i think my C drive is dying. dont worry about doin that now b/c the moderators will just edit this thread. but we can help you in either ways.

6. catskill516

yes they are separate hard drives.

7. catskill516

Because my C drive is 4-5 years old,and i have done everything i can to make it "act" better.As well as it having very spare room left on drive.And yes i did defrag,virus check,clean up,spyware,etc etc.

8. catskill516

sounds more complicated then what you say,and not too sure what you mean,but i have 2 seperate drives,if that will help.Also how do i format my C drive?of course after win98 is installed into my D drive.thank you for helping me out BTW

9. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

the best way to fix it is on putergeek.com on reinstalling windows 98. you need an active FAT partition. it will tell you how to format. just substitute the format command with the appropriate drive letter.

10. catskill516

ty you very much.XneonX

11. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

o good. hows ur system now?

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/271351

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice