1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downgrading back to XP

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by Italia, Jun 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Italia

Italia Thread Starter

So I recently realized that Vista just isn't the operating system for me, atleast not yet. It requires too much RAM and all I like to do is browse the internet and play games, so I need to get back down to XP. It's been putting a real cut on my FPS since I only have 1GB RAM and that's minimum.

My computer was a Compaq prior to interior remodeling, so when I boot up, I am asked if I want to Start Windows Vista or a previous operating system. I of course, went through all the options to get my XP back. I chose C:/ Drive and then it asked for an administrator password, which my computer has only ever had one. When typing this in, it negates it and ask me again to insert the administrator password. After three tries the computer restarts.

Are there bypass options, and will I have a folder of my old Vista documents? I need to keep my music, if it's the only thing I can keep. I would assume I'm going to have to reinstall all my games though.

Help? Really appreciate it. Thanks.

2. CrazyComputerMan

CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    Do you have any backup media like CD-R/RW or DVD-R/RW or USB stick?

Backup the Media as you need and format the Vista and install XP.. it's my opition

3. Italia

Italia Thread Starter

Well I don't have a USB stick, or CD's, because there's about 80Gigs of music. My ipod can't hold the majority of it, so when I upgraded to Vista I just had it all thrown into a folder and then pulled it out and deleted all the old windows files. Can I not do that again?

However, I still don't know how to reformat with it asking for my administrator password, I don't know what it wants. Is there a bypass?

4. Italia

Italia Thread Starter

*Bump*

Still looking for a solution to downgrade. I'm really struggling playing my video games with all low settings, and I'm pretty upset that it won't let me downgrade. I've only ever had one administrator password, I don't know what it wants. There has to be a workaround though.

Anyone?

5. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    Personally I would buy a 120GB external hard disk. Move all your files onto that. Then reformat main drive on PC and reinstall XP and reapply all the patches and AV software etc.

6. CrazyComputerMan

CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    Or you got any spare internal harddrive... If you got that.. let me know and i'll make flash for you

7. Italia

Italia Thread Starter

Well, since I have no where that I can put my files, how can I just reformat to XP then? I'm not sure how to do this besides the way that I stated in the original post.

8. CrazyComputerMan

CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    You want to backup the media... How many they is... Well back them on zip and make at least on 10MB and backup in Yahoo Mail because Yahoo Mail has unlimited storage so you can backup the music there, then format Vista then reinstall XP and set up a internet and restore all music.... Would be come in handy if your computer crashed ... all music are saved in internet :D.

I hopes this solution is the best :D

9. Italia

Italia Thread Starter

I unfortunately do not have the XP CD, so I can not boot from that, and I do not have the Vista CD, so I could not insert that to uninstall either.

Is there any way besides this to drop back to XP?

10. CrazyComputerMan

CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    You'll need to use XP CD-Rom to drop down...

Purchase a new CD

11. Italia

Italia Thread Starter

Unfortunately there is no money for me to do so.

There must be a way to remove the administration password that it is asking for.

My computer came with Windows XP installed in it, and does give me the option to install XP when booting, however, like I said it asks for the passwords. So my copy of XP is legit, it's just not in the form of a CD. So that would be rediculous to buy another while one is sitting there waiting for me to use it.

Does anyone know how to remove the nonsense password that it is asking for? Atleast find out what the password is?

12. Sithtradmus

Sithtradmus

13. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You need to find a way to back up your files. Things can and do fail with Windows (all versions) and hard drives. Obviously your data is important to you. You need to back it up.

You cannot install Windows XP without a Windows XP installation disk. There's no way around that. You're essentially trying to re-paint a room in your home without buying any paint. Not possible.

14. CrazyComputerMan

CrazyComputerMan

First Name:
    Robert
    Agreed! You cannot have thing on your computer for nothing.

15. Stoner

Stoner Banned

I am not expert at your situation, but I think you need better advice than what I've been reading.
    If your XP system files are still on the hard drive, I would think there would be a way back to XP.
    Also, if the XP files are there, often there is an I386 file that can be used for reinstall/repair situations.
    Ask for help (expert help) on using it, don't go blindly initiating something that can not be reversed.

Back up of data is a wise consideration at all times.

Good luck.

Jack.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589818

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice