1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downgrading Compaq CQ60 to xp

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by bjrogers1956, Jan 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bjrogers1956

bjrogers1956 Thread Starter

I have a friends Compaq CQ60 that came factory loaded with Windows 7. I have totally reformatted the HD with XP, but get the blue screen that says that I need to run CHKDSK 7 or check for viruses. I have tried many programs that claim to repair this, but nothing works. I checked the bios on the computer and it is grayed out, so i change any parameters and it says the operating system is Vista. My friend has an embrodery machine with software that ONLY works with windows XP, hence, the need to change. There is no Floppy disk to be able to reload the bios. How do i change the bios to run XP or am i just stuck and have to purchase Vista professional and run in in virtual XP mode?

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

If you have formatted the hard drive with an XP install, then there would be nothing, no software running that would say you need to run 'chkdsk 7' ? Unless it is XP that is saying so. What program is saying that you need to run CHKDSK 7 or Check for Viruses ?

3. bjrogers1956

It is XP SP1 that is giving this message. I made a drivers install disk so that i could use sata support and slipstream sp2, but every time, as soon as windows is ready to begin loading, the same blue screen comes up and says that there is a problem and if this is the first time i have seen this screen to reboot, if that doesn't work, it wants me to run CHKDSK. But i can't run checkdisk because there is no software installed., or at least i can't find it to run it. The Bios says the operating system is Vista, and i can't get into the bios to change it.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Which Compaq Presario CQ60 model in this list are you working on?

---------------------------------------------------------------

5. bjrogers1956

I have a Preserio CQ60-410US, which came loaded with Vista 32 bit OS, upgraded to Windows 7 32bit Home Premium upgrade. but all of that has been erased off of the HD.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You originally said that computer came pre-loaded with Windows 7, but you formatted the hard drive and installed Windows XP.

Now you're saying it came pre-loaded with Windows Vista and was upgraded to Windows 7 and then the hard drive formatted. :confused:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the support site for the Compaq Presario CQ60-410US laptop.

According to its products specs section, it came pre-loaded with Windows Vista Home Premium(32-bit).

If you've wiped out the built-in recovery partition by formatting the hard drive and installing Windows XP, you may still be able to purchase the recovery kit here or here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977617

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice