1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downgrading to 98

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by GoEatToast, Sep 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. GoEatToast

GoEatToast Thread Starter

Is it possible to format the hard drive to erase XP and reinstall Win98?

2. crushbone

crushbone

I wouldn't recommend doing this task although it can be done.

First you will need a copy of Windows 98se and a 98 startup disk. You will have to fdisk and format to remove all your XP files.

You will need to find the drivers for most all of your hardware items like sound cards ect. Windows 98 doesn't have a lot of the drivers in their software but XP has them all. This is no simple task. You will also have to be sure your memory doesn't exceed 512mb ram.

I still don't know why you are doing this but I am sure you know what your doing.

3. GoEatToast

I have had nothing but problems with XP. There is no recover disk that came with the computer, and if it did I cant find it anywhere. Is there a way to go back to original settings? I am getting tons of errors and the system is dragging. I imagine its spyware/hijacked/etc and have had no luck getting rid of it. I figured a clean start is the way to go but your mention of the drivers makes me rethink installing 98. Is there anything else I can do? Some of the errors I am getting is "rofl.exe/msdrvs32 has encountered a problem, the program will now close". Is that a spyware problem?

4. mtown_onsite

mtown_onsite

If you have your 98 cd... you should be able to download the 98 install boot floppy from microsoft. This will allow you to boot to dos and fdisk/format. Then you will be able to install 98 from your cd.

I'd recomend downloading the drivers/installers for all of your hardware before your reformat. 98 might not recognize newer HW.

I had to downgrade a freind a few weeks ago. He was trying to run XP on a p2 300. Just wasn't working well...

5. GoEatToast

Since I have basically decided against installing 98, will doing a System Restore help if I go back to when it was working right? It just started doing this over the weekend, thats when I started getting all the errors of "filename.exe has encountered a problem and must close", etc......

6. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Try a system restore If this works follow this link http://forums.techguy.org/t110854.html to Rollin Rogs Security Tools Download and install Ad-Aware SE , SpyBot Search and DEstroy , and Spyware Blaster . Install and setup according to the tutorials at the site . Run a scan and get rid of everything SpyBot and Ad-Aware SE pick up . Also choose an on line anti virus scan and run it . If you do have an av program make sure it is updated and use it daily Use Spy Bot and Ad-Aware at least weekly .

7. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

Let us know if this improves your XP

8. crushbone

crushbone

Yes! Do a System Restore! I can't stand Windows 98.

9. redhat9

redhat9

Please do try a system restore or reformat it then reinstall Windows XP. I once used Windows 98 and it just crashes more than XP. XP compared to 98 is like a great god.

10. GoEatToast

Thanks everyone! I did a system restore and it works fine now. I didnt even know about the system restore option since I am basically a 98 user, I couldnt figure out why the computer didnt come with an install disk! Thanks again for all your help and advice! :p

11. crushbone

crushbone

You did the right thing, System Restore is a good friend to any XP user, that's why it has an advantage over 98.

12. Dust Sailor

Dust Sailor

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/276355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice