Downgrading Windows XP to Windows 2000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

PiTCH BLAK

I currently have a 40gb HDD, running WinXP.

Is there a way to downgrade to Win2000, without wiping the whole drive?

Thanks.

If you upgraded from 2000 and saved your files when prompted, then you can go back to 2000 in Add/Remove. Otherwise, you really can't. You'd lose all your registry entries for installed programs and need to install them again anyway, so the cleanest approach would be to save all you can and wipe the drive. Any other path would lead to headaches or dead-ends.

PiTCH BLAK

dobbelina said:
Why would you wanna do that ?
I mean downgrade to win 2000....
Mainly because I cant get my screen resolution to 1024x768 in XP, as I could in 2000, and I tried everything else I could think of. A friend said that my computer probably doesnt have the resources to run XP in that resolution, so I figured a downgrade was the next logical solution.

And XP didn't come from an upgrade, I had two OSs on two HDDs, and the one with Win2k died not long ago, leaving me with XP. I don't have a burner, and a lot of data that I don't want to lose.

Unlikely to be a resource problem, just that you have not applied the correct driver for the graphics adapter.

PiTCH BLAK

kiwiguy said:
Unlikely to be a resource problem, just that you have not applied the correct driver for the graphics adapter.
I was using the same driver I used in Win2k, which is supposed to be good for XP as well. Then I tried an updated version. Still no dice.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online