1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downgrading

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by xtort_98, Jan 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. xtort_98

xtort_98 Thread Starter

My girlfriend has WIN 2000 and hates it. I want to know if its possible to downgrade back to WIN 98. We are both still skeptical about XP and dnt want to Upgrade to that yet. Is it possible to downgrade to win 98 again?? I tried but i get the error that the software is incompatible? Any help is much appreciated.

2. brianF

brianF

You probably would need to reformat the hard drive and do a clean install, microsoft doesn't like people going backward.
    Also the files that 2k uses are not compatible with 98, another problem would be if you are using ntfs file system with 2k, 98 won't work on that file format.

3. skinnywhiteboy

skinnywhiteboy

First Name:
    Bruce
    Can't do it dude. As a general rule, you can usually upgrade, but very rarely downgrade.

4. Dan O

Dan O

You should consider XP it a combination of Windows 2000 and 98. You can even make it appear like 98 by selecting Windows Classic mode. It's very reliable and much faster than 98. The new interface is nice once you get use to it. It would be a lot let work to go back to 98 and have to reformat and reinstall everything.

5. kknla

kknla

Keep in mind that all your hardware and software might not be compatible with XP. Might be something to look into before changing.

6. jessilaree

jessilaree

I recently put XP on my computer but some of my programs aren't compatible. Is it possible for me to install it on my other computer? Or would I just have to buy another copy to have it on both computers?

Jessica

7. elsinaj

elsinaj

When you use it on two computers, you've got to have two licenses.

A.J.

8. gethedge

gethedge

That is SO amazingly stupid of Microsoft (of course, it <b>IS</b> Microsoft!) Many people now-a-days own multiple computers and want it to be quick, cheap, easy still

9. Dan O

Dan O

If you use Xp's compatible option you can get almost any application working except ones that do direct I/O. Like kknla stated you do have to have the hardware. A P266 or higher and 128MB of RAM.

Jessilaree, You can move an application from one PC to another legally, so it would be ok to move it. But you need two copies to have it working on two PCs.

10. jessilaree

jessilaree

Okay. I knew that, but thanks. How would I move it off and save all my work?

Thanks

Jessica

11. Dan O

Dan O

Save the data to floppies, you can use WinZip to compress and it allow a file to span (go across) floppies. Then reinstall the application and restore the data file. If you open the application and check options you should see the location of the data files to know where to get them and to restore them.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66402

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice