1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Download and upload speed randomly got much slower

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sergeantsilent, Jun 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sergeantsilent

sergeantsilent Thread Starter

Starting around monday my internet download speed went from 25-30Mbps to 3 Mbps (tested with speedtest.net and the xfinity speed test.) I've done the tests on three separate computers: two running XP (one wireless, one wired) and one running win 8 (wired.) I've reset the modem (router is built in) as well as unplugged everything for a few minutes and plugged it back in. The modem/router are fairly new, the internet was setup only around 3 weeks ago. I did the dslreports.com line quality test and it showed 7% to 20% packet loss. What can I do to fix this?

Thank you for you time.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Since you mentioned using the "xfinity" speed test may I assume that you have Comcast, or at least cable service from some company?

The problem could be anywhere from the ISP to the modem/router. Can you think of any changes around Monday? Such changes could be adding another device or appliance to the electrical circuit powering the modem/router, modifying the coax cables or connections in any way, utility work near the cable drop to your residence, high wind or lightning if you have above ground cables, etc.

If the modem/router is plugged into a surge protector or power strip have you tested with it connected directly to an outlet?

Have you checked with your ISP to see if they know of any problems or have had other complaints from your neighborhood?

3. sergeantsilent

sergeantsilent Thread Starter

Yes I have comcast for TV and internet. There have been no changes that I can think of. I only touched the cables to the modem when I was unplugging them to reset it, and plugged it back in.

There were high winds but I do not know if there are above-ground cables.

The modem/router is plugged directly into an outlet, I've tried both plug-ins.

I haven't contacted the ISP yet because I wanted to make sure it wasn't on my end or something I did.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1128255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice