1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

download and upload speeds far apart

Discussion in 'Networking' started by grandma77, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. grandma77

grandma77 Thread Starter

A couple of months ago we got cable internet through comcast.

My download speeds are around 4375 kbps and upload speeds are 368 kbps. I was reading an article today that said the two speeds should be about the same...but mine have never been near the same in the couple of months we have had comcast. Do I have a problem or is this ok? Also, are my speeds high enough for cable internet?

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

No! Your speeds are not symmetrical. That is what most people get for upload on cable.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Sounds normal to me. :) What are your contracted speeds from Comcast? Their normal upload speed is either 384 or 768, and download speeds are 3mbit to 6mbit, depending on your location.

4. grandma77

grandma77 Thread Starter

When we ordered the special the brochure says up to 6Mbps. I have just reread all the literature they gave me at the time of setup and there is nothing mentioned about upload speeds. At the time I didn't know enough to even ask the guys about this stuff. So am I ok or is it slow? I am not having any problems except sometimes it slows down a little but nothing like dial up was. I had also heard that the more traffic there is in the neighborhood the slower I speeds would be...is this true? Thanks alot guys.

5. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Certain times of the day you will probably experience slow downs because you do share bandwidth within your neighborhood. Your upload speed really shouldn't affect anything. 90% of your web surfing is downloading.

6. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Also note when you are downloading a file Windows usually will show the speed as "368KB/Sec". 368 kilobytes per second is 2944Kbps (not accounting for network overhead).

7. grandma77

grandma77 Thread Starter

Thanks guys...I am very thankful for the download speeds compared to dial up...updates are so fast. Thanks again for all your help.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/669781

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice