1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Download Box IE6

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by maxpi, Dec 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. maxpi

maxpi Thread Starter

When downloading a file, Win98/IE6, there is a box that asks whether you want to save to disk or open from where it is. I clicked the "don't ask this every time" box and now I never have that choice but I find that I need it. I (and a few tech support people) can't figure out how to get it back. Anybody know what to do?

Max

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Welcome to TSG Maxpi.

To correct that problem you need to know the file type (extension) of the file you did that with. Then just follow the directions on this MS link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q177976

By the way, since it is customary to just post one thread per topic, I have meged my response to your OS topic here, which deleted the one in that forum. Please respond here for follow-ups.

3. maxpi

maxpi Thread Starter

Thanks, Ron.

What do I search on after I click that link? I tried "download query box", etc. , nada.

Max

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

When you download a file it will have an extension, for example the "zip" in thisfile.zip

In Folder Options>File Types you will be looking for that extension. When you find it, just follow the instructions in the link.

What is the "file type" you are having the problem with?

If you don't know, give me an example of a link you are trying to download.

An alternate method of downloading which cirmvents this problem is to right click on the link and select "save target as". This will give the option to specify a download directory.

5. maxpi

maxpi Thread Starter

Thanks Rog

These are .txt files that I download from the net and upload to an online file storage site, they come down from there with no compression. I then open them in Excel with the text import wizard defaults. That always worked fine only if I downloaded to hard drive and then opened them in Excel, opening from existing location never worked if I recall well.

The right click method was problematical last time I tried it (on the failing computer, Win98/IE6), works today(NT4.0IE/IE5.0)!! I'm going to look into the differences in the Excel versions on the two machines and also find out if the problem is file type dependent .

Again thanks muchly.

Max

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

You're welcome Max.

Folder Options > File Types does contain an entry for Text documents, at least mine does -- see attachment. You should be able to resolve the problem by selecting that, then >edit>confirm open after download.

Attached Files:

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62188

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice