Download error with pdf file

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Bigsandy

When I attempt to download a simple pdf file using IE5.0, I get an error msg stating "access to the specified device, path, or file is denied"
It appears to download correctly and just when it's done - the error msg occurs and you cannot access the pdf file. Is there something not set correctly in IE5? Or??
Appreciate your help.
Bob

i'm a few versions away from ie5 so don't know if there are some settings that need adjusting - i don't remember any

- are trying to open from a location
or
- save the pdf?

what version of adobe reader are you using ?
- need at least 4 these days, adobe has 5 on their website
- and there may be some security restrictions on the file which your version can't handle

try opening the file instead of downloading it, see what happens

Bigsandy

jbcalg:
Thanks for your reply. I've found out that if I save the file verses downloading and opening after download, I can open it with Acrobat 4.0. It appears that after downloading and trying to open/run immediately, it doesn't know where to look for the Acrobat program or something. What's your take on this?

bigsandy

might be the file association isn't quite right
=============
from http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=57765

Assuming you only have the problem with pdf files, locate one on your system and then highlight and press shift + right-click, choose Open With... and then choose Acrobat Reader. Make sure "always use this program... is checked."

thanks angel - forgot the shortcut to associate files
=============
try this step, should firm up the file association and get it back to where the file opens after download

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online