Download file from IE8

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Lykele

When using IE8, I attempt down download a PDF file off the IRS site. A window pops up asking "Do you want to save this file, or find a program online to open it?"

It then offers 3 buttons of "Find, Save, Cancel". My question is what about just "Opening" the PDF directly. My file extension for PDF points to a program I use all the time. If I select the same PDF file with FireFox, it just opens.

Do I have some setting wrong?

Thanks. Jim

daz1

Banned
tools manage add ons look for adobe/pdf click make sure enabled

Lykele

Thanks for your response. I actually use PDF-Xchange as my PDF program, but I knew that wasn't the problem. Additionally, I ran IE8 on a laptop and didn't have any problems, so I suspected something had change.

I ultimately ran a program called 'Exterminate It' which found something they labeled as "Hijacker' in the registry. Unfortunately, I didn't have a paid copy of their product so I manually deleted the registry entry it directed me to and now I get the option of "Open" in addition to "Save", "Cancel". So everything is back to normal.

I appreciate your help.

Jim

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online