Download issue when Windows 7 Pro joins a Windows Server 2008 Active Directory

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

techwin

Hi,

I purchased 2 new Dell OptiPlex 3010 desktop computers that came with Windows 7 Professional operating system with SP1. There were no Microsoft updates installed yet. After I added one of these Dell computers to the Windows Server 2008 Active Directory, I was not able to download several items. Below are several examples:

1) I downloaded the Norton anti-virus installation file. This file is not the full installation of Norton; it is more of a file where you execute it and it will download the full installation from the Internet like from their Norton web site. So when I executed this installation file, it does not download the full installation files. It just hung at the screen saying “Downloading” and it will finally stop with an error (don’t remember the error message).

Note: If I have the full Norton installation file then I am able to install it on this computer with no problems.

2) I downloaded the Adobe Reader installation file. This file is not the full installation of Adobe Reader; it is more of a file where you execute it and it will download the full installation from the Internet like from their Adobe web site. So when I executed this installation file, it hung at the downloading part and then it will error out with a “Actionlist Not Found” message.

Note: If I have the full Adobe Reader installation file then I am able to install it on this computer with no problems.

3) I installed Microsoft Office 2010 Standard version on this computer. I configured Microsoft Outlook to retrieve emails from my email provider (pop and smtp settings). After configuring Microsoft Outlook, I was able to send emails through Microsoft Outlook successfully (and very quickly), but he was unable to retrieve my emails. The progress bar for the Receiving in the "Outlook Send/Receive Progress" box shows no progress. The Progress bar is not moving. There is a message at the bottom of Microsoft Outlook stating "Receiving message 1 of 6 (x.xx KB of x.xx MB)" and it is very slow. My new emails were not being retrieved at all. I tried various pop and smtp servers that was available for my email provider, but all had the same effect.

Note: I had a Dell computer with Windows XP Professional operating system and this computer had Microsoft Outlook 2010 as well. I was able to retrieve my new emails on that computer successfully.

The above are only a few examples that I have experienced. If I removed this Dell OptiPlex 3010 computer from the Windows Server 2008 Active Directory then I still experience the same issue.

So as another test, I setup the other new Dell OptiPlex 3010 with the same Windows 7 Professional OS with SP1. This time, I did not join the Windows Server 2008 Active Directory and I was able to successfully download the full Norton installation files, download the full Adobe Reader installation files, and download my emails from Microsoft Outlook 2010. But once I joined this computer to the Windows Server 2008 Active Directory then I am not able to download these files and emails at all.

It seems like there might be some group policy or a security setting that is preventing these downloads, but I am not sure what it is. I disabled all of the firewall programs on this Windows 7 Professional OS, but it still did not resolve the issue.

Any ideas on the root cause?

Thanks,
techwin

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts