1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Download issues

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Uber Noob, Oct 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Uber Noob

Uber Noob Thread Starter

Have 2 computers at home. Both hanging off an AT&T router. One running Vista Home Basic (mine). Download rate on it is fine. The other is running Vista Home Premium (my wife's) and it has lots of latency when playing online games and is slow to download anything.

I disabled firewalls, and turned off McAfee, same problem. So then I plugged my wife's computer into my computer's network cable; same problem.

I have very limited computer troubleshooting experience and am really not sure what I should do next, especially on a Vista box.

Any suggestions?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
  3. Uber Noob

Uber Noob Thread Starter

I'm not currently at home so I can't check to see what the processor is, (working at the moment) but I know hers has 2 gigs of RAM and mine has 1. Hers didn't start having this issue until a few months ago, I'm wondering if a driver update or other update has caused this.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    That new information is extremely helpful. Try Safe Mode with Networking. If the slowness persists suspect driver(s). If no slowness, suspect software, and prepare for a possibly long search unless you/she remembers what was installed just before the problem began.

Was SP1 installed and when? I think in general it improved Vista slightly, but some people have had big problems with it (probably because of corruption or incompatibility with other software).

5. Uber Noob

Uber Noob Thread Starter

Yeah I downloaded SP1 about 3 weeks ago, maybe more.

Thanks for the help!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759264

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice