1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Download Manager Blues

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Dukane, Feb 21, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Dukane

Dukane Thread Starter

There are three features I want with a download manager. The descriptions
    provided by the authors or software sites are not specific about the features
    I need.

1. Multi-thread downloading is great, but many times the server is unstable.
    Lowering the thread count to one or two can be the difference between a failed
    or successful download. I need a manager with a selectable thread count.
    Recently, I tried EagleGet. It allows you to set the thread count, but it lacks
    the second feature I need.

2. The manager must show if the server supports resumable downloads. Internet
    Download Manager (IDM) has this feature, but there are many things about IDM
    I don't like.

3. There must be browser add-ons (extensions) for the manager, so it can replace
    the simple download applet included with all browsers.

I could try several dozen managers hoping to find one or two with these features.
    Asking Tech Support Guy members is a better idea.

Thanks guys.

2. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    I've used JD Downloader 2 for years now. It supports both 1 & 2, but I don't know about 3. Most download managers work with the links that you add to them and allow the browser to function on it's own (at least by default). For example, if I copy a link, JD gets the link from the clipboard and adds it. If I click a link, the browser handles the download on it's own. I, for one, don't want links that I manually click in the browser to be sent into the download manager queue.

3. Dukane

Dukane Thread Starter

The name is JDownloader not JD Downloader.

As I'm sure you're aware, there are direct links and complex redirects. It would be nice if
    all download links were direct, but they're not. Big software and cloud storage sites use
    redirects. You never see the link until it's loaded into your default browser download applet.
    That's why browser extensions are needed, if you want to use a manager after clicking a
    redirect. You can easily enable or disable extensions in most browsers.

After a quick Google search I found Chrome and Firefox extensions for JDownloader. Many
    Firefox users have the FlashGot extension. It adds a drop-down menu to the "Save As" box,
    so you choose any installed download manager.

MajorGeeks lists JDownloader as ad-supported:

http://m.majorgeeks.com/files/details/jdownloader.html

The JDownloader site is typical of many open-source apps. A confusing mixture of links.
    This app has numerous options that need an explanation. There is a link labeled "help,"
    but it doesn't go anywhere. Can't find an organized online help file for JDownloader.
    It says, "JD Knowledge Base is still under development."

http://jdownloader.org/

4. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
    You are correct, sorry for the name typo. As for usage, I've not had any issues with redirects either (YouTube for example). Drop the generic link into JD and it will show you all of the available versions of the file from that link.

I used FlashGot a couple of years ago, but it didn't offer any options that I wanted or needed with any frequency. It's biggest usage for many is as a means to download multiple files from a given webpage either without clicking or copying all of the links or as a way to get all of the images on the page. And as with JD, you can open a link and see all of the available files from that url, but I don't need that option hardly ever. JD does everything that I need it to, which is simply to manage the downloads that I don't want to do manually.

If a webpage contains a download link, I can copy the link and use JD or simply click on it and use the browser.

I've not visited their site. I have a link to their forum bookmarked at home, and have always gotten a quick response to any questions or issues. There are several devs that frequent the forum and I've not had to wait more than a few hours to get a response to a topic posted.

5. Oddba11

Oddba11

First Name:
    Jim
  6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1223421

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice