1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

download manager only downloads link not file

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by yeto, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. yeto

yeto Thread Starter

Hi,

I have tried using Star download manager and Flash download manager to download some files from www.download.com and the only thing they download is the link and not the file.

I am using Netzero dialup with Windows Me.

Would anyone have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Yeto

2. lister

lister

Probably because it doesn't support download managers.

http://cnet.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/cn...xvYWQgbWFuYWdlcg**&p_li=&p_topview=1#MANAGERS

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

I use download managers for all my downloads from CNET.

I'd suspect that URL has somehow been added to the list of file-types that are supposed to start the download manager. Look through the options and see if URL is listed and remove it.

If URL is now marked as downloadable by your browser, then that is a different setting. What browser?

4. yeto

yeto Thread Starter

I am using IE version 6.0

I don't know if this is just a coincidence but I tried some more downloads and they seemed to work somewhat better if I saved them in my downloads folder versus saving them on my desktop. Does this make sense?

Thanks for all your help so far.

Yeto

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

I don't know why that would make any difference.

6. yeto

yeto Thread Starter

Thanks for the help so far.

I went into Star Downloader and removed all the settings except exe and it still downloaded an index/link file instead of the file I wanted to download (this was at cnet).

Next I went to filehippo.com and downloaded Free Download Manager with Star Downloader and it downloaded with no problem.

Next--I tried to download Spybot S&D with Star Downloader and Free Download Manager and they both downloaded the link instead of the file.

My question is--what would be the difference in loading Free Download Manager and Spybot causing one to download with no problem and the other to download only the link?

I also copied the address once the link opened with and without the http:// and tried to download but I got a file not found.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yeto

7. Elvandil

Elvandil

First of all, having more than one download manager installed is going to lead to problems. they install hooks in the browser, usually as BHO's, and sometimes these remain even after they are uninstalled. So you should stick with just one, uninstall all others, and then check to be sure that their BHO's have been removed, too.

You are not downloading a link file since there is no link file to download. The program is placing some sort of link in your download folder. but not downloading it. Where do these links lead? What are the URL's that the links point to?

There are various mechanisms that web sites use to implement downloads. Some are direct http or ftp downloads, some are PHP scripts, and there are others. The differences you are seeing are probably due to the program working with one protocol and not working with another.

Try removing all but one downloader and their BHO's. You might also try uninstalling all of them to see if the browser still does this on its own, in which case the file type may be misconfigured.

What browser are these downloaders installed into?

8. scruftig

scruftig

you might want to try fdm free download manager just type it into google and it will come up, my manager quit working I downloaded fdm and no more problems.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/658323

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice