1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Download Manager

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by raybro, Feb 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

I recently gave up my Direcway satellite broadband and returned to dial-up :(. My Dial-up ISP has an accelerator program (Propel) that works pretty good for browsing but is useless for downloads. I get about 2.7kbps. A simple definitions update from AVG takes almost 45 minutes for a 5Mb file. I looked on www.download.com and found quite a number of utilities after searching on "Download Manager". Among them were Kazaa and a couple of other names I've seen associated with spyware.

So I'm looking for a recommendation on the best free download manager and also whether there are any gotchas associated with download managers in general.

I'm running Win98SE with a MyIE2 browser on a P2 Dell desktop. Any and all thoughts appreciated.

Raybro

2. divt154

divt154

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you're getting such poor speeds then you have a problem with your connection setup or the computer. Download Managers can be useful but I think solving the source of the problem is the key.

You may want to check out the Satellite Forums at DSL Reports for FAQ's, Tweaks, and possible solutions: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/sat

4. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi divt154,

On the webpage at http://www.freedownloadmanager.org
    System requirements:

In order to use FDM, you must have one of the following operating systems and browsers installed on your computer:

* Microsoft Windows 9x/ME/NT/2000/XP
    * Internet Explorer 5.0 and above.

So, it would appear the there is support for Win98SE! Just because you don't actually see
    Win98SE, doesn't mean it won't work on it - i.e. where you see Win9x/ME you can infer that it will work on Win98SE.

Free Download Manager allows you to resume downloads, and:
    0) Query the size of the download
    1) you can increase the maximum number of retries on connection attempts before giving up
    2) Set the protocol to http1.1, and uncheck the use of cookies,
    3) Set the download format to Binary (If not text, use it)
    4) Uncheck the use of Proxies

-- Tom

5. divt154

divt154

Oh, sorry about that...thanks for correcting me. :)

6. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks Triple6... Yeah, you'd think so, huh... Unfortunately, I live in a really badly equipped area relative to telephone hardware. It's located in a dead end canyon in the mountains above Santa Barbara. There is no DSL nor cable. There isn't enough business in the area to justify the cost of installing such equipment. I've had the lines checked out by the telephone company (Verizon) as far as they will do so. Basically, they say a residential phone line is intended to be used as a telephone communication medium and whatever performance one gets with computer-to-computer communication is all one can expect. In other words "Not their problem".

I replaced the lines and connection hardware from the incoming box to all outlets. No difference in performance. I've tried disconnecting all other jacks so I would have a dedicated line. No difference in performance. I installed a new V90 modem card in hopes that would provide some speed advantage. NOPE!

That's when I went to satellite broadband. It's OK, but way to costly to justify it to myself.

So there you have most of the relevant history. Hope I didn't bore anyone, but this is why I'm looking for a usable and low impact way to enhance what I have.

One of the major reasons I considered a download manager utility was the feature that allows one to pick up where you left off on a download if it disconnects for any reason. Some of my downloads get really long and Murhy's Law will always by standing by to grab ya. If anyone has an alternative for that feature, that would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time... Raybro

When I posted this I found 2 additional replys that were not there when I first came back to the forum. Thanks lotuseclat 79... Can I assume since you clarified the system requirements for FDM you are also recommending the utility? Raybro

7. divt154

divt154

Free Download Manager allows you to resume broken downloads. :D Link to it is about Triple6's post.

8. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

OK, I have the setup file for FDM. I'll be installing it about 3 hours from now. If anyone has any negative comments about FDM, I'd like to hear them.

BTW... any opinions regarding running my Dial-up ISP's accelerator (Propel) AND FDM at the same time. My guess would be they would likely interfere with each other.

Raybro

9. divt154

divt154

Trust me on this one..I was on dial-up for about 8 years...:D

10. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Here is one for the group to ponder.. I made multiple attempts to download FDM from the link provided with the same result each time. The download reaches some arbitrary point anywhere between 5% and 50%. transfer will stop for a short period of time (30 seconds or so) as it will do from time to time during a download. What is different about the process from any download I've ever done is during one of these pauses, the progress bar in the download window will zip to the end as though the download is finished. In fact, it says above the progress bar "download completed". When I attempt to initiate the setup file, I get a corrupted file warning. After trying everything I know of without success, I went to download.com and got FDM v1.8 from there with no problem. I guess there computer just doesn't like my computer. What do ya think?

Raybro

11. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi raybro,

No need to ponder, just run a little experiment to satisfy yourself, i.e.:
    Now that you have FDM downloaded and installed, try to download it from the link that didn't work using FDM.

Set it up to:
    Click on the Advanced tab:
    Check HTTP.1.1 and uncheck use cookies
    Check Binary
    Click on the Proxy tab:
    Check: Use no proxy (i.e. if you are directly connected to the Internet - only)
    Click on Ok
    Click Ok

If you get disconnected under the same circumstances again - you should be able to resume the download from where it was able to get a good download - i.e. it has a rollback feature of about default 3000 bytes - until you get the complete download.
    (I wonder if the website software will know that it is the FDM on your end doing the download - and what will result?)

Let us know how it works out for you.

-- Tom

12. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Good idea lotuseclat 79... I'm running the download now. It's at 75%. I'm a slow typer so it should be done by the time I finish this. Those settings you provided. Are they aimed primarily at text downloads? Are they usable for video and music? Almost done 97, 98, 99, 100%. Yosa, it be done. Do you recommend installing this version (1.9, I think.. Went to the properties on the setup file and the version is blanked out). The version I got from downloads.com is 1.8 build 307.

Raybro

13. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79

Hi Raybro,

The settings I provided will work for all formats, esp. are required for video and music and zip and tarballs or any compressed format - i.e. Binary, that is. The other settings, you might just want to play with - but, I tend to stick to what I gave you which works for me. One thing you will have to feel out is the max number of connection retries - default set to 20. My theory is the larger the download the higher it should be, because there are too many variables that can affect a download. If you watch the display for the FDM you will see that connections are lost on files less than 1MB, but the good thing is you can now restart the download up where you left off (almost) - i.e. you won't ever have to start over from scratch again.

Don't forget to delete your download track of what you have downloaded if you are paranoid about covering ALL of your tracks - i.e. there is no tool that can go into FDM to delete your download tracks.

The executable itself, fdm.exe is what you need to check for the version, not the setup file, although some setup files indicate the version.

Looks like it is time for me to upgrade based on your version info - thanks.

Happy downloading,

-- Tom

P.S. I always Query the Size with the button on the lower left before clicking on the Advanced button to do the setup.

P.P.S. Get Firefox with Fasterfox, ShowIP, NoScript, FlashGot Extensions - better than IE.

14. raybro

raybro Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. I've been away from the forum for a while now, but this thread has me interested again. I'll tryout a couple of your suggestions.

BTW. What I was calling the setup file WAS the fdminst.exe file I just downloaded. That's the one that showed the version blank in properties. I went back and checked the version on http://www.freedownloadmanager.org and the latest version is, in fact, v1.9.

Also... Does Firefox have tabbed paging?

Raybro

15. divt154

divt154

Yeah, FireFox has tabbed browsing. ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/445740

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice