1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Download Message Error?

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Fetch_Man, Aug 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Fetch_Man

Fetch_Man Thread Starter

When I clicked on a link to download a .zip file, I accidentally unchecked: "Always ask before opening this type of file." So now, every time I click on a link to a .ZIP file (which I mostly do), it always just starts downloading without asking me whether to save the file to disk, or open the file from its current location. This also means that I do not have the choice to choose which folder it will download to, it just goes straight to the Temporary Internet Files folder, which I really don't want it to go there. How do I get it back to normal, where it will always give a confirmation?

Please help me.

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, We need to know what version of Windows you are using, win95, 98, ME or XP, 2000...
    And, do you use a 3rd party program like WinZip to unzip files or use the built in decompressor like ME and XP have?

3. Fetch_Man

Fetch_Man Thread Starter

I use Windows ME, and I use WinZip 9.0.

4. Byteman

Try this: At the top of any Internet Explorer window, hit Tools>Internet Options>Advanced and Restore Defaults.
    You may have to also reset your Security settings in IE 6.0> there may be a default setting for Active Scripting enabled in the Restricited Zone, which you can easily set to "Disabled"....as a matter of fact all the settings in Restricted zone should be disabled or at very least Prompt. There are some good pages on the Web you can see the reccommended settings for each Security Zone or all the settings for IE...let me know.

5. Fetch_Man

Fetch_Man Thread Starter

that doesn't work.

6. Byteman

OK> have you tried to Repair Internet Explorer?

What happens when you try right clicking the file, and select Save Target As?

7. Fetch_Man

Fetch_Man Thread Starter

Thank you for responding so quickly, how do I "repair" IE 6.0?

8. Byteman

Check my last reply I added a bit...

To Repair IE: Go to Add/Remove Programs, it is found from start>settings>control Panel>Change or Remove programs

Down in the list of installed programs, you may see "Microsoft Internet Explorer and Internet Tools"
    Highlight that entry, and select "Change/remove" or Add/Remove,,,but don't worry, there is a choice list after that, select "Repair this version of IE" and let the repair utility run, at the end it will give a message to restart. Then, try a file download....also try a right click and Save Target As or Save As....see if it lets you select a location and see if you can then put a check into the box for not opening the file automatically, etc.
    As a last resort, you can remove this installation of IE and re-download or reinstall IE 6 which should fix the problem. It's rather long download if you dont have broadband. IE can also be found on ISP Cds, AOL has a version but it of course is branded with some of their links, which are removable...

9. Swiper

Swiper

Try this

Open up Windows Explorer : ( start,run type in EXPLORER, press ok, hit enter key )
    click on TOOLS, FOLDER OPTIONS
    click on File Types
    Scroll down to .ZIP
    Click on Advanced button
    place check mark beside " confirm after download "
    apply changes
    Close out of all running programs, try again.... hope for the best

10. Byteman

Also try: Open Windows Explorer (not IE) and at the top, Tools>Folder Options>File types
    Scroll down to .ZIP. and highlight it. Click on Advanced. Check the box that says "Confirm Open after Download"
    You may or may not see a .zip file type entry.
    Look also under the W area for WinZip files...

11. Fetch_Man

Fetch_Man Thread Starter

It worked! It's fixed!

Thank you very much Byteman and Swiper, I really appreciate it. Thank you for your time and effort. Now I can download the right way :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/258134

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice