1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

download mp3 music

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by pjblevin, Jan 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. pjblevin

pjblevin Thread Starter

Breathes there a man with soul so dead that never to himself hath said: "I'd love to be able to download songs in mp3 format for $1. each with no strings attached?" Is there such a possibility? I don't wanna join & pay a periodic fee. And I don't want any entanglements. As a trial, I once bought an MP3 song from Wal-Mart for $1. I immediately found out that I couldn't move the song out of their domain! Strikeout for Wal-Mart. I also once bought a song from itunes for $1. Found out it was in itunes format & would have been a hassle to convert it to MP3 (with possible loss of fidelity). Strikeout for itunes.

pjblevin

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Nope. Since there's no way to control what's done with the files, no legitimate download services supplies files in plain MP3 format.

3. pjblevin

pjblevin Thread Starter

JohnWill: Thanks for the info. I had a suspicion that this was the case, and that I was wasting my time hunting for such a service. The part that doesn't make any sense to me is that, while I can buy (or borrow) a legitimate CD, and rip all the song(s) I want to MP3.....I can't buy an individual song in MP3 format with no strings attached. Duh?

pjblevin

4. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    I believe that eMusic is 100% legal with 100% DRM free MP3 files. On the other hand their song library may be 100% music that some people never heard of or don't want.

5. JohnWill

Yes, I mistakenly assumed that he was talking about music that we have actually heard of. :D

6. VTfletch

VTfletch

You could always download the music, say from itunes, and burn that music to a CD with itunes and then proceed to rip the newly created cd.

7. darthpotato

darthpotato

thats kind of long winded isnt it :rolleyes:

8. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    Some of the record companies may be on the road to seeing Duh light about selling non-DRM protected music files ....

January 23, 2007
    New York Times: Record Labels Contemplate Unrestricted Digital Music

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/23/technology/23music.html

9. firestormer

firestormer

I personaly use MSN music (accessable via Windows Media Player or any web browser). This music is in a protected WMV format with a high 192 bit rate , you can sync to all Play for Sure mp3 players and you can have copies on up to 3 computers.

Again as said above you can simply remove any protection and formating by burning it to a CD then ripping it back.

On the subject of protected music i belive a solution would be to have a protection system where there are no limits to what the user does, but each time the music is played on a new machine it could connect to a central server to say it is on a new machine. This would satisfy the consumer and the companies as the companies would be able to see if a certain track has too many copies and then take the approprite legal action against the original purcheser and the consumer would be happy as they can make as many copies as they want for personal use. Although there might be some privacy issues.

10. JohnWill

You think? :rolleyes:

11. CTPhil

CTPhil

Also there are too many ways to corrupt or lose your license. I don't mind paying for a song once, but losing rights to even play a song you've paid for and thought that you own sucks rocks.

12. cwwozniak

First Name:
    Chuck
    I can hear it in the courtroom now .... "But your Honor, somebody stole my client's 80 GB player with those 5000 songs on it. Surely my client can not be held responsible for what the thief did with those files after it was stolen." :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

13. pjblevin

pjblevin Thread Starter

Looks like I'm gonna be able to buy a song for a dollar or so in mp3 format with no strings attached. From Amazon. The industry has finally awakened and figured out that it's better to get a dollar for a song than get nothing if it's pirated via p2p. Looks like the commercial music cd is gonna become a relic.....r.i.p.

pjblevin

14. JohnWill

Yep, I'm thinking all the stuff that's been pounded into our heads about DRM will be useless, at least for music. :D

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538208

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice