1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Download of XP home system disks

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by prpltbrd, Jun 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. prpltbrd

prpltbrd Thread Starter

Hi. I have an older HP laptop and an HP desktop that I need to wipe out and reinstall Windows XP on. I am putting a new hard drive on the laptop and I don't have original system disks to install it with. I do have the license for both the desktop and the laptop and I just need to be able to download the full system disk for XP Home so I can reinstall on both computers. Is there a place I can go to to download the systems so I can put it on a bootable CD?

Thank You

2. stevecook

stevecook

3. prpltbrd

prpltbrd Thread Starter

Great, thank you. I will try that. I appreciate the quick reply.

4. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

That will help you find your XP install files if they exist on your hard drive, but it will not help you download them if you don't. Downloading Windows XP from anywhere is illegal (unless you have a subscription that allows it).

5. prpltbrd

prpltbrd Thread Starter

I have licenses for XP home for both computers. I had someone work on both computers at one time and I did not realize it at the time that he installed XP Pro on both computers and come to find out it was counterfit. I do have the site keys for Home for both computers. I don't trust the files on both computers and I don't want to buy new versions of the software. I just want to put home back on each of the computers and get them functioning properly again and the laptop, I am putting a new hard drive into and I want to put Home back on it as I am giving it to a friend. I don't want to download something I am not licensed for. I just want to be able to reinstall good copies of windows and use my licenses that I currently have. Neither computer is upgradable to Vista so I have to use XP. I have the drivers for the laptop stored on an external hdd and I need to do the same for the desktop computer. I don't think I can just make a boot CD with the current problems that both computers have.

Thanks

6. The Hound

The Hound

Order recovery disks on the web
    The steps in this section apply to United States and Canada. For other regions, please refer to Europe, Middle East, and Africa - Statement on the Availability of the Recovery Software on CD , or contact your local HP support center for information about obtaining recovery CDs.
    Go to the Software & Driver Downloads link on the www.hp.com web site (in English).
    Select your country from the drop-down menu if the county selection field is available.
    Enter the product number or model number (for example, EX177AV, PT690AS#ABA, or EZ111AT#ABA) into the for product field.
    NOTE: Because the recovery disks are matched to specific PC models, if more than one model appears, select the name that corresponds to the name or number on the identification sticker.

Select the correct operating system by clicking on the name and continue to the Software & Driver downloads page.
    Scroll down to the CD-ROM order page - Recovery Discs section, and click on the name of the recovery disk for your operating system.
    Select Download drivers and software (and firmware).
    Select your region (United States or Canada) and then click Submit.
    Type the serial number of the PC in the Enter the serial number of the product field.
    Use the drop down menu to select a shipping method.
    Type the zip code in the zip code field and then click Next.
    Use the drop down menu to select the city and then click Next.
    View the prompt, and click Next. You can click recalculate price to adjust shipping method and cost.
    Enter the appropriate information in all required fields of the shipping address screen:
    first name
    last name
    company
    address
    phone number
    e-mail address
    If applicable, select the primary use for the computing products from the pull down menu.
    Select whether HP may contact you with relevant information, and click Next.
    To pay for the parts and shipping costs, enter the required credit card information:
    card type
    card number
    expiration
    NOTE: Orders cannot be cancelled or changed once they have been submitted by clicking “Submit” button. Please wait for the submittal process to complete. It may take several seconds for the system to process the order and validate payment information.

When you have entered and checked the payment information, click Submit to process the order.
    NOTE: Please click the button only once, and wait for the order confirmation page to display.

7. prpltbrd

prpltbrd Thread Starter

Thank You. I didn't find that before but I will go out to hp.com again and look for that and get those ordered. Thank You again

8. The Hound

The Hound

You're welcome--please use the thread tools at the top right to mark this one solved...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/590370

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice