1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Download problems

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by Jim McDonald, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jim McDonald

Jim McDonald Thread Starter

Hi
    I hope I'm in the right place. I'm finding it impossible to download PDF files from a site I'm subscribed to. I've lowered all the security settings to minimum. Javascript is enabled. When I try to D/L the site I end up with an empty frame with a little red cross in the top left hand side. I've been able to access the site successfully from another machine in a different location. I'm running XP Home on ADSL with IE6. All service packs, update etc are in place. Any advice would be brilliant please.

Jim

2. brendandonhu

brendandonhu

3. Jim McDonald

Hi Brendan
    Thank you for posting
    Yes I have v6.
    Jim

4. deh

deh

Jim,
    Not sure of the site but are you trying to view from the site itself or are you downloading the pdf first. At most sites you can right click on the link and do a Save As, then it will prompt to download somewhere on your computer. Then you can explore to the file on your machine double click on it and open it up. Is this how you do it? If so does it produce the same results?

5. Jim McDonald

Hello DEH
    Yes, it's the result. I've tried lft clk and rgt click to "Save target ..." with same result. I'm trying to D?L stuff from within the site.Again thank you for your help.
    Jim

6. deh

deh

Can you download and open this? or same thing?

Attached Files:

7. Jim McDonald

Hi DEH

...same thing.

Jim

8. deh

deh

Can you open any pdf's, like say those that may have been placed there by a ROM or other (i.e. not downloaded)? Like perhaps ones that Adobe itself made. Look in c:\program files\adobe\resource. There should be an adobe file there if not do a search .pdf in the adobe folder?

Can you open this?

Have you ever been able to open pdfs with this install of Adobe acrobat?

9. Jim McDonald

Hello deh
    Yes I can open other pdf's. I can even open the files from anothercomputer in a diffrent location so I presumed it was the security settings on this one. The site is OK but it's obviously specific to that site and my security settings, at leastI think so.

Jim

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!