1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Download problems.

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by amymj, Dec 30, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amymj

amymj Thread Starter

Hello and thank you for reading this!
    I am running Windows 98/SE and I'm having a problem downloading software (media player upgrade, audiogalaxy satellite, etc.) . Whenever I start a download I see the Quick Time ico which I have never seen before...a few seconds later the icon rips in half and I get nothing. Here are a couple of clues as to what the problem may be:

1. I just moved to Germany from the US. Could the problem be that I'm unable to dowload these things if I'm outside the us?

2. I just got DSL for the first time. Might the problem be that I need to change some settings on my computer?

3. My file associations are messed up? I thought maybe QT just took over the downloads so I was messing with them and somehow deleted some QT files from the association....but it didn't help. It only made me spend 3 more hours figuring out how to view my photos again.

Your help is greatly appreciated! Thank you and Happy New Year!

amy

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    If you goto <a href=http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53760> this</a> thread and do the Regedit I suggested, you should be fine. Pick it up in that thread at .... "Try this and see what happens ..."

Start>Run, key in Regedit and press enter

BTW, Mosiac orginally figured out the solution to this problem and it was passed on to us by WhitPhil. Many thanks to both of them. The problem seems to occur quite frequently recently.

3. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

4. amymj

amymj Thread Starter

Bryan, THANK YOU! It worked like a charm! Rollin Rog...What exactly is spyware? What problem does it cause? thanks again for your help!
    amy

5. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

6. amymj

amymj Thread Starter

Thanks for the info! I never knew about spyware. But, now that I read it I'm pretty sure that is must have been installed on my computer a long time ago with all of the ads I get! I have both msn & aol instant messenger so maybe it came from there? I haven't noticed a problem with audio galaxy YET. When I signed up I clicked "no thanks" for the Gator and I also did not set it up the satellite to come on at start up.
    Since I downloaded msn instant messenger this summer I have been getting "illegal operation" notices and I have had problems multi tasking and doing such things as video editing.
    I have a couple questions: If I delete aol and msn messengers will it take the spy ware aware?
    Will the spyware get any worse than it already is? Like, will it slowly cause more illegal operations and things like that?
    BTW, audio galaxy is really cool...maybe even worth having a debunked puter! ha ha
    amy

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63511

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice