1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Download rate reduced dramatically

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Smudgeroonie, Apr 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Smudgeroonie

Smudgeroonie Thread Starter

Hi I need some help. My download rate has dropped dramatically for no apparent reason. My laptop is wireless connected to a very small office net work (one other PC) the other PC is running fine with no change to download rates.

I am now getting a back log of emails that won't download for hours. I have been in touch with my ISP but they can find not fault (this is refelceted in the fact that the toher PC is fine).

The router that I am using is a Linksys Wireles G ADSL Home Gateway WAG2000G Annex A.

I have scanned with Malwarebyte and with Superantivirus and nothing has been found.

Can you help?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    How does your laptop do with an ethernet connection, if that's possible?

(From a JohnWill post)

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista or 7.

Start, Programs\Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. Smudgeroonie

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the help. I pluged the ethernet connection into the laptop instead of into the router but it didn't connect to the isp. Not sure if it should have found it automatically of if I should have set up the connection some how (not sure how to do that).

I ran the commands that you advised but they do not seem to have made a difference to the download speeds.

Gratefull for any further suggestions you may have. :confused:

Many thanks

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When you switch the device connected to the modem you need to power cycle (unplug for 30 seconds) the modem.

It could help in trouble shooting if you tested with an ethernet connection whether to the router or directly to the modem.

Make sure you have the latest driver for your wireless adapter. Get it from your PC manufacturer if it is an integrated adapter. If you already have the latest driver use Device Manager to uninstall it; reboot and let Windows discover the adapter and reinstall it. These steps are in case of an incorrect or corrupted driver.

Is the OK PC connected by wireless or ethernet?

5. Smudgeroonie

Hi,

The problem has now been resolved. It took a while to get to the bottom of it but it appears that I have been on a legacy broadband plan which had a cap at 3Gb, however I was told that the account was not capped at all. It seems that my ISP did not strictly enforce the cap if we went over it by a small amount, however they at some point put a blanket enforcement on the cap. It may be because this was a good way of getting people to review their plans.

So what was actually happening, although my ISP said it wasn't, was that I had gone over my cap and the download speed was being throttled.

I have resolved it now my signing onto a new plan which only costs $4 more each month account but gives me a 2Gb increase and no capping (so they say again!). Should I now go over teh agreed limit then I just extra paymentn for a couple more Gigs.

Thank you all your your help in resolving what was turning into an extremely frustrating problem.

From now on I will get my ISP to confirm everything twice!

Thanks again.

Smudgeroonie:)(y):)(y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/917927

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice