1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Download speed drop off, Upload speed doesn't change.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by mandark99, Jul 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mandark99

mandark99 Thread Starter

First off, my specs:
    Adapter: Realek RTL8188EE 802.11bgn Wifi Adapter
    Router: Linksys/Cisco WRT400N (Known to have connection issues in the past, but I explain why this probably isn't a factor.)
    Not sure what else is needed...

//================= SysInfo ================
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4700MQ CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 60 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 7964 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 740M, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 926548 MB, Free - 844054 MB; D: Total - 26525 MB, Free - 2684 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 1966
    Antivirus: AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2013, Updated and Enabled
    //========================================

So, I'll boot up my laptop and everything will work fine. My download speeds will be somewhere near 20-25 mb/s and uploads are around 4-5 mb/s. I'll also ping test my computer with no packet loss, a ping around 20 and jitter around 1-3%. It all looks great and dandy (Pics below). Except, after about 15 to 20 minutes, my download speeds will dropoff to about 20-50 kb/s and my ping test goes through the roof to about 70-90 with jitter near 70%... Not good at all.

Now, I have the suspicion this is being caused by my internal wifi adapter (the Realtek), because when I use another external usb adapter (TP Link TL-WN722N) my speeds never fluctuate and I have no problem, ever.

Is there anyway to narrow down what this could possibly be caused by? Plus, I should mention, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver for my internal adapter so many times its not even fun anymore. After I install, the speed will jump to the 20-30 mb/s range, but again will drop after 20-30 minutes.

I couldn't find the screen shot of my outrageous ping beside the horrible download speed but, I'll keep looking...

EDIT: I'll use Xirrus Wifi Inspector to see relative signal strength, and according to it, it never changes..... Gah.

Attached Files:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1102762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice