1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Download Speed Limit?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by KiliK, Apr 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KiliK

KiliK Thread Starter

Hey everyone :cool:

Uhm.. I really think my internet provider is limiting my download speed D: ... I never.. Ever... Download faster than 160kb/s ... Sometimes, when the place is really close, It will start at about 1mb/s !! ... But than slowly.. It will go back to 160kb/s and just sit there, and keep downloading at 160kb/s ...

My internet provider is Telus, I am pretty sure I have a 1.5MB/S Connection, or more. So if anyone could help me It would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks everyone

2. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

3. KiliK

KiliK Thread Starter

I'm not a big fan of swearing but... What the ****? lol .... When I download from a server from where I live I GET 1300kb/s ... When I download Vancouver - Ukraine .. I get about 500kb/s ....... I don't understand why I'm being limited to 160kb/s on everything else.

4. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Have you sent your internet provider an email asking if there are any restrictions

5. KiliK

KiliK Thread Starter

Well, it never stated in any packages that there were...

I am also running a router.. Do you think that may be the problem ?

6. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

Im not sure sorry ....about the router

there is a vast difference in my speeds using that site

7. KiliK

KiliK Thread Starter

No problems, I'll just wait for someone else to reply, thank you anyway :)

8. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

My pleasure :D
    i am sure someone with more techy knowledge will be along shorty ..

Hope you solve your problem :)

9. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

A 1.5mbit/sec connection would yield downloads around 160kbytes/sec, I'm not sure I see what's wrong here. I have no idea how you manage a download of 1300mbyte/sec, since that's about 7 times your bandwidth. :rolleyes:

10. KiliK

KiliK Thread Starter

Look .. [​IMG]

And ...

[​IMG]

11. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The file you are downloading above is at 160K Bytes per second which is roughly equivalent to about 1300K bits per second. That download speed is normal for your connection speed.

12. steveb1492

steveb1492

8 bits per byte
    Therefore with your 1.5 megabit/sec connection, the max download speed you could possibly get would 187.5 megabyte/sec. With overhead, interference, etc., you'd be looking at about 160mb/sec, exactly what you have. Upgrade your connection :D

13. KiliK

KiliK Thread Starter

oh, so it is my connection haha (n),

but how come sometimes it will start really high and move down? It's because of the connection I own that it limits me right?

14. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

Download speed can be limited at your end or the other end. If you are downloading from a server with a dialup connection you would get about 1KB/s even though you have a 1.5mbps connection.

15. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

The reason it starts out with a big number is simply the algorithm used to compute the download speed, when it has a larger sample, it gets more accurate.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/559479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice