Download Windows 98

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Emory Dean

I have a hard drive that was wiped clean. I am trying to down load windows 98..... I have a boot disk and I get the prompt to Start with CD ROM. I selected this option and when I got the A:/> Prompt .....I typed in D:setup like i was advised but i keep getting "Bad command" message or "reading E dirve abort retry fail"

Any words of Wisdom:confused: would be greatly appreciated

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
Which is it...E: or D:?

When you start up a bootdisk with cdrom support watch the boot up process. It will tell you if it failed to load the cd drive. If it does load it, it will tell you what drive letter it assigned as well.

I would try changing to the drive letter first to see if you can view the cd first.

just type the drive letter at a dos prompt e: or whatever it is.

buck52

Banned
Emory Dean said:
I have a hard drive that was wiped clean. I am trying to down load windows 98.....
Where are you trying to "down load" windows 98 from?

Or are you trying to load windows 98?

Do you have a 98 CD?

buck

buck52 said:
Where are you trying to "down load" windows 98 from?

Or are you trying to load windows 98?

Do you have a 98 CD?

buck
I was thinking the same thing. Downloading windows would be illegal to do and to install. Not that it can't be done. But you won't get any help here if this is the case.

Squashman

Retired Trusted Advisor
I guess it could be perceived as such. I just figured he got his terminology wrong.

Darn I forget just what I had to do but wheI went to install 98 I could not get it to see the CD drive. I then changed the bootup order in the bios but it still would not boot from the CD but I had the A: floppy bootup disk that would let me get to the CD and then I did the install of windows.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online