1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloaded Avant Browser

Discussion in 'Tech Tips and Reviews' started by jillian2, Sep 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jillian2

jillian2 Thread Starter

I have been looking for an alternative browser . Something that isn't by Microsoft , although I really love my Msn 9 and would not give it up for any other. But I had a post saying that I had tried Netscape, Firefox, Mozilla, and Opera and did not like any of them. Big-K suggested Avant and I thought that I had it a while back and uninstalled it. Well, I have just reinstalled it and it looks and feels just like IE. That is why I uninstalled it before. I am sure that I will uninstall again. It is a shell and I am looking for a complete browser. Anyone have any other suggestions ?

Thanks
    Jillian

2. brindle

brindle

I've been using Opera for several years and love it, what about it did you not like?
    Have you tried one of the Linux distributions?

3. GoJoAGoGo

GoJoAGoGo

First Name:
    Joe
  4. jillian2

jillian2 Thread Starter

I did not like opera. I found it very cluttered. Also everytime i opened it up, Lycos was my home page. Could not get Lycos off. Although I had put Yahoo as my home page, Lycos would come up. I also just did not like all those panels in Opera. I just simply , and wholly did not like much about this browser and will never try it again.

thanks,
    Jillian

5. Big-K

Big-K

The reason Avant feels like IE is because its based off the same code

6. eightup1

eightup1

avant isn't based on the same code as IE ... avant is just a different GUI. or skin ... for internet explorer with extra options added ...... so every time you use avant you are using IE at the same time. hence why avants bookmarks show up in IE

7. Big-K

Big-K

I'd read up one the FAQ Page eigthup1. It's not a skin at all, its a standalone app. It's based off of IE. Yes it requires IE to start, thats because it uses the IE code.

By definition a skin is:

This strange term refers to the appearance of a program's interface. By changing the skin of a program, you can make the interface look completely different, but usually still have all the same functions. It is similar to a "Theme" you may use to customize the appearance of your computer's desktop.

Therefore Avant cannot be a skin, since it provides many features not found in IE.

8. eightup1

eightup1

I stand corrected .... [actually im sitting down ] ........ but doesent it use the IE code that exists in your computer as well as its added components to run ?? i mean the installation executable is only like 900KB can that be a whole browser program ?

by the way I've been using avant on one of my comps for a year and i love how easy it is to shut down java script and activeX controls .. i guess all i was really trying to say was .. that if you are switching to avant because of security risks with IE .... avant shares all the same risks , being based on IE. .. ..........

9. Big-K

Big-K

One- Installers usually are much much smaller than the program itself. How else do you explain 2 gig games on a less-than-one-gig-cd?(actually I'm not sure of that example but oh well.). The installer for Mozilla Firefox is around 4 megs and yet the main folder for it is over 15.(not including reg). It's probably alot bigger than the installer.

Two- If it uses the IE code then it probably runs some of that directly rather than having its own version of the code in itself(I could be wrong here).

10. eightup1

eightup1

oh ... that makes sense .... it must be time for bed .... im not thinking well .. :)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273217

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice