1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

downloaded files won't delete.

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by busycletamarie, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. busycletamarie

busycletamarie Thread Starter

I have downloaded different files that I am trying to delete. I delete the file underdownloads but it is still under the screensavers or background.I am trying to clean up things and can't seem to get rid of them. I have windows 98 and microsoft but can't seem to get help from them. How many places are there to delete one file?

2. Sponsor

3. Signature

Signature

<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">That depends on whether you just download a file, or whether you download an executable program and then install it.
    It might also depend on how you are going about downloading and saving files...

If you just download a file, do nothing else to it, then decide you don't want that file after all, you can probably just right-click on it, and choose Delete.

If you download an executable program, such as a screensaver, and then install it, it will unload other files and components into your system, placing them where they should go in order for the program to work.
    You can still right-click on the original file that you downloaded, and choose to Delete it.
    But, all of those other files and components will still be in your computer.

Sometimes everything gets put in a nice, neat folder somewhere, complete with the name of the program.
    It seems as if you could just delete that folder, and all would be gone.
    But even then, there's usually files and/or components left behind.

Quite a few problems can be caused if you go about deleting bits and pieces of a program here and there.
    Besides, it's just messy. :p

Never use Delete to get rid of an installed program.
    You should always go to the Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Install/Uninstall tab, and highlight the program on the list there.
    Then click the Add/Remove button, and follow the directions to uninstall any program that you don't want anymore.</font>

4. busycletamarie

busycletamarie Thread Starter

I have tried going to the add/remove and even after removing the files from there they still show up on the screensaver and wall paper window. can they ever be removed completely

5. Signature

Signature

<font face="comic sans ms" color="#577ac6">You could reinstall the screensaver(s), then use Add/Remove Programs exclusively to uninstall again.
    This would probably get rid of anything missed the first time.

But, it might just be easier now to go ahead and delete what's left.
    You can either go to Start > Find > Files and Folders, and search for the screensaver and wallpaper files by name.
    Or, more directly, the screensaver and wallpaper files you are looking to delete are probably located in your C:\Windows and/or in your C:\Windows\System folders.

Note: Screensavers will have the *.scr extention.</font>

6. jcandiff

jcandiff

try going to start>run and type SYSEDIT.
    Selecte the Win.ini file and look at the Load= and run= lines to see if it references this program you installed.If it does have some mention of this program, erase everything to the right of the equal sign, Save and reboot.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/67003