1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

downloaded files

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Smokeydock, Jan 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Smokeydock

Smokeydock Thread Starter

Why cannot I not open files when I have downloaded them. I have always been able to do this and suddenly I cannot. It has happened with my bank statement, my insurance documents and some attatchments on email.
    I am able to download them, but I just cannot find a way to open them. I recently changed my web browser from Google Chrome to Firefox as I was having trouble downloading files and when I checked, it seems there has been a problem with google in this respect. I would be grateful for any suggestions please.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    What are the file name extensions when you download them. Since you are mentioning documents I assume they are PDF files? What happens when you try to open them?

Does the same files work in Firefox?

3. Smokeydock

Mostly PDF files, but the bank statement is a DO file. So I go to open them and the Firefox window comes up with "open or save". If I choose open it just goes into another window the same. So,then I choose "save " to my desktop. From the desktop I right click to "open with" , but whichever option I choose it doesn't open. The PDF files I can then open with Reader, but not the DO file. But for years I have just been able to open these files,so what's happened?

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    After you download and save a file which has a .DO extension, right-click it and select rename and then change its extension to .PDF

See if that helps with opening and viewing it.

----------------------------------------------------------------

5. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Make sure you can view the extension as by default, it's hidden.

6. Smokeydock

Thanks for posting, didn't know I could do that, but I am afraid it still doesn't open.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Oh well. It was worth a try. :(

----------------------------------------------------------------

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If it were me I'd take the easy way: with the .do file open in a browser do File - Print - and select a pseudo printer that writes a PDF file. I use the free CutePDF Writer, and there are at least several others available.

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    When I was getting my work documents I realized that the .do file is most likely what Javascript was meant to pop up the document so you can then save it to your computer. I wonder if something has changed the .do extension to make it download instead of run.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222275

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice