1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloaded program files and temp files folder

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by kat555lady, Jun 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kat555lady

kat555lady Thread Starter

In internet options under temporary internet files and then under settings view objects there 5 java runtime environment active X controls with yellow exclamation points. Is this supposed to be this way and if not how do I fix this? Also, the setting in my temp internet files folder is set at 1192. Is this correct or should it be changed?

2. Sponsor

3. stantley

stantley

They could be leftover from older versions of Java. Go into Add/Remove programs and see which version(s) of Java is installed. The current version of Java is 6 update 1, if you have any older version(s) installed uninstall all of them, go back to Downloaded Program Files, highlight all Java entries, right-click and Remove.

Then go to http://www.java.com/ download and install the latest version.

The temp internet files folder set at 1192 is fine.

4. kat555lady

This is what I have in add/remove programs: J2SE runtime environment 5.0 update 10,
    J2SE runtime environment 5.0 update 11,
    Java 2 runtime environment SE V1.4.2_03,
    Java 2 runtime environment 6 update 1
    Do I uninstall all of these except for the last one? If not which ones do I uninstall?
    Thanks

5. stantley

stantley

Since you have so many it would be best to uninstall all of them, go to Downloaded Program Files, highlight all Java entries, right-click and Remove all of them. Then reboot.

Then download and install the latest version from the link I gave you. Whenever a new version of Java comes out remember to uninstall the old version first before installing the new one.

6. kat555lady

Thank you Stantly, Are the first two on my list also Java? (The J2SE runtime environment ones) Since they don't say Java like the last two do I thought I'd better check first to be sure before I uninstall something I shouldn't.

7. stantley

stantley

Yes those two are also Java, just a little different way of phrasing it.

8. kat555lady

Thank you stantly

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589044