1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloaded Program Files, Damaged

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by razzell2, Jul 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. razzell2

razzell2 Thread Starter

Hi.
    I have an HP Pavilion running Vista home premium.

When I am cleaning my computer out at the end of the day, I open up internet options and "veiw objects", which brings up my DOWNLOADED PROGRAM FILES folder.

In there are 3 or 4 active x files.

But 1 in particular has a status of DAMAGED.

Vista is different in that I cannot just delete this damaged file, like I could in XP, or in earlier windows versions.

All I can do is right click it, which brings up a "properties" link.

This damaged file is an active x file, and the "code base" reads like this:

http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp dot cab (I changed this to read 'dot com' because it appears to be a direct hyperlink to my computers files...and I dont know if anyone could click on this and open my files...so, i added the dot com)

The link takes me to a gp[1] file that looks like it originates from my adobe illustrator installation, and inside this file are several Adobe GetPlus application files, a .dll and a .ocx active x file.

Here is the explorer folder trail to this GetPlus folder that is apparently corrupted.

(Razzell2)Computer>AdobeIllustrator>AppData>Local>Microsoft>Windows>
    Temporary Internet Files>Low>Content IE.5>PO6ALQ9S>gp[1] (which appears to be a cab file, as it has that icon that looks like a two drawer blue file cabinet with the bottom drawer half open).

This thing was created 11/2006, but I cannot remember if thats when I installed my adobe illustrator. Probably was.

So...How does one remove a damaged downloaded program file from Vista?
    Can I just delete all of these GetPlus icons (applications?)
    Can I just delete that entire cab file? The gp[1] file?
    What is GetPlus?
    I read that its a "bloat" add on that is installed when you download the adobe reader update..(the 9.1, which I just did a couple of days ago, and thats when I noticed this corrupted file).

Ok, I dont want to ask too many questions.
    Im hoping that someone will understand this issue and respond...give me some advice on it.

Thanks for reading, guys, and I appreciate your time and your help.

Razz

2. elee

elee

3. razzell2

razzell2 Thread Starter

Thanks elee
    I will give take a look.
    Razz

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/840894

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice