downloaded setup (exe) apps do not work

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

n6vlh

I have xp pro with sp2 installed. I am running an amd 2600, a 120 gb hdd with 110 gb free. The programs that I download or get from a disk will not activate. What i mean is when the setup file is started, the hourglass comes into view for about a second then dissappears, but setup does not engage or continue. Computer remains to work ok other than that. Had my computer shut itself off and reboot for the first time as I was registering with this forum, but the setup problem seems to have taken place after an install of another program after the fresh install. I have re-formatted and reinstalled xp pro and now I was able to setup another program but not the one that it worked on before. Seems to be only exe files that it hates. What in the world can i do with your help ? thanks ernie

n6vlh

I am logged on as the administrator, also tried the microsoft web site that was mentioned and tried the procedures. I then went to remove sp2 from the add/remove control panel area, but it doesn,t exist. If I go and try to download sp2 it says it already exist. sp2 was already a part of the xp pro when I installed xp pro and did not download seperately, hope this helps, anyhow still doesn,t work right, but love a challenge. ernie

n6vlh

I got it working by pure chance, its a miracle. I was playing around trying to figure out what to do next. I loaded a spyware program "Webroot" and ran it. Then it deleted cookies except the ones I wanted. I figured maybe spyware had a grip on my computer.Then I decided to install Panda, uh-oh I forgot to remove Avast anti virus program. It locked up. I shut down and reboot. uh oh went to blank screen. Rebooted again-went to safe screen- then I removed spyware program. rebooted ok and came back. Then removed avast could not remove panda. the control panel would not activate the remove. I would press it but nothing happened. ran chkdsk/f then defrag. Reloaded Panda and removed. Seems ok now. it is screaming now. I have not loaded Avast again or other anti yet, Avast was free. is it ok or ? I hope this helps others

n6vlh

conclusion: I reloaded AVAST anti-virus program and I was unable to launch programs once again. Removed AVAST using the control panel and re-booted, and the computer works fine. I sent a bug report to them hope they can help. Thanks again for everyones help. ernie

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online