1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloaded text and images from the web -- text is fine but images won't open

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FLJerry, May 4, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FLJerry

FLJerry Thread Starter

Hi Forum Folks,
    Computer Information:
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 1527 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family, 128 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 190771 MB, Free - 74179 MB;
    Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC., Goldfish3
    Antivirus: avast! Antivirus, Updated: Yes, On-Demand Scanner: Enabled
    I can download text fine from the web but associated pics won't open. I am using Internet Explorer but would like to use Google Chrome as my Browser. I've noticed most of the downloaded files had HTM or HTML extensions. Kind of a Newbie so steps to take would be most helpful. Thanks in advance...

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you do any configuration in Internet Explorer's Internet Options ?

If I understand you correctly, a web page would open, but you see icon placeholders for where images should show ?

3. FLJerry

FLJerry Thread Starter

lunarlander,
    Thanks for your response...
    I believe IE options are set to default except for Security to stop popups. Yes, that is correct web pages open (text) but image icon placeholders for where images should be..

4. FLJerry

FLJerry Thread Starter

lunarlander,
    Fol-up to my last post...
    When I go to Internet Options - Secrurity, I can't reset my values to DEFAULT it stay on CUSTOM level for some reason. Could that be my problem - incorrect settings?

5. lunarlander

lunarlander

There is a way to reset everything to out-of-box defaults in IE. Go to Gear > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset button.

6. FLJerry

FLJerry Thread Starter

I went to IE Gear (Tools on my XP) > Internet Options > Advanced > Reset Button then restart and tried to download a web page with text and pics to no avail. I still get the same results - pics won't open with a black box and RED X where pic should be. I also get the following error msg upon opening the file: "To help protect your security, IE has restricted this webpage from running scripts or ActiveX Controls..." Could my settings be wrong?

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

8. FLJerry

FLJerry Thread Starter

I went to the suggested website and tried each procedure in attempt to solve my problem - Why can't I see pictures on a website:
    1. First procedure - To tell whether a link to a picture is broken - Check Okay
    2. Second procedure - To check if the picture's file type is supported by IE - The URL Addresses doesn't match the IE types. The url address states: "file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Jerry/my%20Documents/55%20Clip%20Frame%"
    3. Third procedure - Check to ensure that you have enough free disk space for IE to display pics - Cleared everything and still doesn't display pics.
    4. Forth procedures - Make sure IE is set to display pics - Box checked for displaying pics
    5. Fifth procedures - Make sure IE Security Settings are allowing programs required to display pics - Following the procedures to reset security level to "Default Level" and hitting the Default button, the settings reverting back to the 'Custom" level. Even after a restart the security settings still showed the custom level.
    I hope this helps in understanding my problem...

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1125399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice