1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloaded too much... now won't boot.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Reeb, Dec 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Reeb

Reeb Thread Starter

Okay, I did a dumb thing. I actually wanted to transfer my Carbonite account to a new computer. It is a laptop with a 40 Gig of HD. I realized (perhaps too late) that I selected "Reinstall" instead of Transfer My Account" and that my Carbonite files were larger than the laptop could handle. Well I stopped the downloading of files when the computer said that it had no more room. Later the computer screen went black (actually light gray) and the lights were lit up showing that it was reading or trying to read the files it had. It never completed it's boot up.

I tried to go in and reboot it into a Safe mode, but it won't let me. Says it can't go into the Safe Mode.

So, is there ANY way to save my hide and get this back?

2. valis

valis Moderator

I don't have an answer for you (yet) but I did go ahead and mark it unsolved for you. :)

3. Reeb

Reeb Thread Starter

Thanks. Wouldn't you know it, it is my wife's computer too. YIKES... that doghouse looks like my home for a while.

4. Hughv

Hughv

Since you can't boot, your options are limited.
    Boot to another OS like Ubuntu and delete some files.
    Remove the drive and attach it to another machine and delete some files.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/966884

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice