1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloading a stream to hard drive

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by Spiteful, Mar 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Spiteful

Spiteful Thread Starter

I hope I posted in right place, and I hope I didnt miss the topic, cus I did search for it, anyway.

So I DL this WMV, and the Windows Media Player plays it, and I want to save it to my hard drive, how do I go about doing this? WHen I go to file and click "save as...." its greyed out and wont let me.

I have VideoLAN player, which I kinda think can do it, but im not sure, please lead me to a way to do it, teach me how to use VideoLan player, thx a lot!:)

2. fireboy69

fireboy69

If it's a WMV file, try doing a search on your system for *.wmv files. A lot of times these files are already stored in your temp directories. I know I've found a lot of sound files as well as movie files that way.

3. Spiteful

Spiteful Thread Starter

thx for the tip, ill try that out

4. Spiteful

Spiteful Thread Starter

It did not work :(

I tried searching for *.wmv as you said, but I got WAY to many results, so then I searched for temp folders, and did not find the video :(

WOuld I have to look at everyone of the *.wmv vids to find it?

I was thinking more along the lines of a program that could run the video and download it to the HD while its playing, or soemthing like that.

5. Spiteful

Spiteful Thread Starter

bump?

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    yes. I have noticed that most of the time the file name is a random amount of numbers, like 5135431658641231[1].wmv.

Have you tried looking at Google for Stream Capture?

7. thecoalman

thecoalman

You could delete all your temp internet files in internet option then relaod the page. Search your temporay intenet file folder for *wmv. It will be the only there this time if it is. Preventing caching of files on a users computer is pretty simple so it may not be.

There's multiple ways to protect files but if it can be seen it can be copied...DRM will change that shortly. but

If you can't find it on your drive try this: :D

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/camstudio/Camstudio-2.0-w32.zip?download

It's a screen video capture tool...

8. blaqDeaph

blaqDeaph

Haha theres always ways around everything, including DRM. But for your purposes, try using firefox or another different download manager to download the WMV file.

9. thecoalman

thecoalman

AFAIK MS DRM protection scheme hasn't been hacked... There are ways around it though such as the program above. But if you read up on some of the protection schemes they invision for the next generation of media playesr such as Blu-Ray you'll see it's not going to be easy. Each device in the chain will be required to be a protected device, if not the signal won't be passed to it. This includes monitors and TV's..... So if your HD TV isn't a compliant model you won't even be able to view the video let alone copy it.

DVD is so easily copyable because the format wasn't brought to the public with protection in mind, whoever would have thought that DVD burners would be so common as they are now. they aren't going to make the same mistake twice.

10. peril0us

peril0us Banned

Curious - whats DMR? lol.

There is a way to copy everything. :rolleyes:

11. thecoalman

thecoalman

Digital Rights Management, it tells the computer or device whether you have the right to copy the file or not. essentially governs what you can do with it. Yes there is a way to copy everthing but as I mentioned this is going to be device dependant as well, the video isn't even going to play on a device that doesn't have it.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/drm/default.mspx

There's always been a loophole somewhere and that was usually sepcifically related to the hardware, this will change that.

12. Spiteful

Spiteful Thread Starter

thx for the link and for the info about DRM

I DLed it, and it seems to work, but it will not capture the video.

I can run CamStudio, run the video, and then save it, and it will only show the first frame of the video and the audio, but It will not show anyhting past the first frame. Am I doing something wrong? Do I have to adjust some settings?

13. MickinDevon

MickinDevon

I've somehow learnt by fumbling trial and error how to save mpeg and wmv videos, hope the following means something to somebody -
    MPEGS -
    1 - click to play the vid on the net, and it auto-plays in a Win Media Player box.
    2 - click "My playlist", then click "Save", then type in a name and "save" to anywhere on your drive.
    3 - To play it in future, click it on your drive.

WMV's -
    1 - click to play it on net, and it auto-plays in Realplayer.
    2 - click "Now playing" and drag it into anyplace on your hard drive to save it.
    3 - click it on your drive to play it in future.

14. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

URL Snooper will make it easy to find the real URL of streams, I use it to find streams for my Internet Radio broadcasts.

15. eblackwell

eblackwell

I'm trying to do this same thing, and I can't get the wmv to save on my HD.

>2 - click "Now playing" and drag it into anyplace on your hard drive to save it.

"Now Playing" will not let me drag it at all.

>Have you tried looking at Google for Stream Capture?

Yes, and I got software called SDP Receiver, but it didn't work well and they aren't helping with support.

>try using firefox or another different download manager to download the WMV file.

I do, but even though I changed the option for WMV to download (instead of play), it still plays in the player w/o downloading it.

I have also searched my hard drive for all *.wmv files and it does not exist; not under its own name or a numerical string.

I know the url of the wmv file: the asx file (which I can download by right clicking the link) calls mms://69.164.252.59:8081/ddn/WDWTour2000.wmv. Even if I enter it right into the location bar -- without the port or without the mms:// or with them, it still goes directly to the player and doesn't save to the drive.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/447211

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice