downloading a .swf file and playing it

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Kristi

when I go to this address: http://www.aclu.org/pizza/images/screen.swf I can play the flash file, but when I copy the flash file from the temp internet files and try to play it, it won't open. Does anyone know why?

I play other flash files in Irfranview, but this one won't play there.

Kristi

jiml8

download the html page as well. You need to set the environment in many browsers before an swf will play, and this information is contained in the html of the web page that invokes the swf.

screen.swf will play.
The file is 340,011 bytes.

Perhaps your Irfan doesn't have the proper version of Flash?

Do you have Macromedia Shockwave Flash installed on your computer?
If you do, go to Start->Run. Browse to the folder (click to show "all files") where you copied the SWF file. Then click OK. Internet Explorer should open and the file should play. I have Flash version 8 right now - but when I visited that site originally, I had version 7. So it should play if you have version 7 or newer for sure.

sekirt

Kristi

"In days of old" you could play the file without playing it in Internet Explorer. IT must be this XP that requires it to play in IE.

I've downloaded some more .swf files and they are all the same way.

Kristi

"In days of old" you could play the file without playing it in Internet Explorer
NOPE. Not true at all. Macromedia Shockwave/Flash has always played through Internet Explorer. By "...days of old" I am thinking you mean other versions of Windows. I use Windows 98se.

Irfan has it's own Shockwave/Flash player that plays through IrfanView. As I originally stated, maybe you don't have the proper version. Or maybe you didn't download all the plug-ins?

These are the newest plug-ins for version 3.98 courtesy of Deke:
*FLASH allows IrfanView to read Flash and Shockwave format.

http://www.tucows.com/preview/415586

Also, the newest version of IrfanView 3.98:

http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967

sekirt

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online