1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloading and installing desktop icons

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Southernonline, Jan 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Southernonline

Southernonline Thread Starter

I have been trying to do this for some time and just dont have much luck. I want to be able to download and install some different and more creative icons on my DESKTOP. I just cannot figure out how to do it successfully. I can find websites that have the packages available, but #1 I'm not sure what is safe, and #2 I have not been able to get any of them to appear. Even if I manage to download, then I can't find the download or cant figure out how to get the icons to show up.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Magician595

Magician595

Hi,

Are you trying to replace current icons with new and more interesting ones?

You can change how the thumbnails look by right clicking on folders and going on the customize tab, at the bottom is change icon. This also allows you to select your own from a different directory location, but I suspect it will need to be specific pixel size.

If you want something to make your desktop look more interesting, or more organisation, then go for something like Fences, or Object dock.

Let me know.

3. Southernonline

Yes, I just want to replace the current desktop icons with some more vivid and interesting ones.
    I actually use fences already and like it.

One other issue i have is that when I change a default icon on my desktoop with a stored icon, it either wont apply the change or it only stays there until i reboot and then its gone and reverted back to the original icon.

4. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Most icons are controlled by the program or file it is linked to.

If a program, then each program "MAY" have different icons that it provides.

The file ones are based on the "Default" program the is set that will open the file when clicked.

It would help, to let us know what program and file type icons you are having issues with?

5. md2lgyk

md2lgyk

You can make your own Windows icons. The free image editor Irfanview has the choice to save any image file as an .ICO file.

6. Southernonline

Normally, the folders or programs thati have issues with as far as icons are the ones that I have downloaded or created myself. My system folders and installed software icons don't seem to suffer from the same problem. Either way, it should not happen when i change those icons.

7. Southernonline

I would really like to know how to download and correctly install icon packages for Windows 7 to improve the look of my desktop. I am only interested in changing my desktop icons. I just cant figure out how to get the packages and apply them once installed.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1085185

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice