1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloading book guides

Discussion in 'Site Help, Feedback, & Announcements' started by the_base_one, Dec 7, 2011.

Advertisement
  1. the_base_one

the_base_one Thread Starter

Hy there. After registering on this website, I tried to download some of the free book guides found on the tradepub. I tried a few of them, but the result was the same: a file named "techguy_tradepub_com" which couldn't be open. I tried to download "The Windows 7 Guide: From Newbies to Pros" and "HackerProof: Your Guide to PC Security". And now I tried to upload one of the files as attachement, but the website doesn't let me. Now I have a few such files of different sizes. Do I have to do something else which I don't know or ...?
    Thank you

2. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    These aren't generally things you download, they're things you submit and respond to on TSG....What is your question?

3. the_base_one

the_base_one Thread Starter

Excuse me if I don't understand very well.
    If I go to the page of Tradepub I find articles to subscribe to and articles to download. If I click on an article with subscription (for instance "NASA Tech Briefs"), a page appears with a yellow button named "Subscribe free". If I click on it, a page appears with a long form to fill in and by the end of it there is a button named "Subscribe".
    But I'm not talking about this kind of articles.
    If I go for instance to the category named "Information technology" I find different articles. One of them is "Moving to the cloud". If I click on it, a page appears with a different button named "Request now". If I click on it, a page appears with a form to fill in and by the end of it there is a button named "Download" this time. If I fill in the form, I receive an email. In the email I have a sentence, "Please Click here to download your complimentary book", where "Click here" is a button. If I click on it a file named "techguy_tradepub_com" is saved on my computer. It's a file that I can't open with any program. And, as I said, if I try the same thing with different articles, the result is a file with the same name, but different sizes.
    The question is: how do I get to actually have the ebook that I was supposed to download for free?
    Second question: is there anything wrong from what I did which led to this result?
    Thank you for your patience.

4. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Mike
  5. TechGuy

TechGuy Administrator It's My Birthday!

First Name:
    Mike
    I can't seem to find where you're finding the link to Tradepub. Please let me know if you can. Thanks!!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1030076

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice