Downloading Email and Usenet Meesages?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Terminus

Hi everyone. I am pretty new to WiFi and am baffled by two things. First; How do I connect and download emails via Outlook 2003 over a wireless network. Normally abroad in airports or around my friends house. Usually it doesn't let me.
Second; This is nearly the same question but involves downloading messages from USENET when I'm travelling. I use 4titude client Dialogue. I undersand I need passwords but why and how do I get round this.
Thank you
Terminus

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I use Supernews as my USENET service, and I can connect anywhere in the world and access USENET newsgroups. I have no idea what 4titude client Dialogue is, I use Forte Agent for newsgroup access.

Unless your ISP restricts access to mail to connections from their service, there should be no difference with Outlook and email either. I use Eudora for email, and I can connect to my email anywhere I am, through any network.

You'll have to be a lot more specific as to your ISP and USENET news server, since from the information provided, I don't see why you'd have a problem.

Terminus

Thank you John. My ISP is Plusnet and the client is 40tude Dialog. Whenever I connect to Usenet via this client over a wireless network it denies the connection and gives a password error. Something similiar happens when accessing email with Outlook. I prefer to keep everything together. I have both IMAP and POP email servers.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
It's a mystery to me, I can access my email and USENET using the wireless connection of my laptop, no issues at all. The fact that it's a wireless connection shouldn't have any bearing on connecting to any of those services. Have you considered trying to access USENET with something like Forte Free Agent, just to see if it's something about your newsreader?

Where exactly are you located, I'm not familiar with Plusnet.

Terminus

John. I signed with Supernews and at least one solution became apparent. My ISP did not require a password to log on to it's USENET server but Supernews does. Because the server recognizes my IP address there wasn't a problem using it. If I use the wireless network it is an unknown
IP address. Problem solved there thank you. The email problem still baffles me though.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
The email may be a similar issue if you're using your ISP's email. Not all ISP's allow off-network access, but you may have webmail access from other locations.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online