1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Downloading entire web site

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Joseph King, Nov 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joseph King

Joseph King Thread Starter

There's a site I need to download to work on. It consists of quite a number
    of pages, with lots of links to anchors/pages. What's the most efficient way
    for me to download the whole nine yards and be able to simulate it's linking
    on my system? (I realize changing the Site properties will be an essential
    step once I've downloaded everything.)

Thanks!

2. Joseph King

Joseph King Thread Starter

What I meant in saying I'll have to change "Site" propeties is that this is a feature in Dreamweaver, which I use, that tells the computer the full path to the files for all the links. It's how I'll tell Dreamweaver the path is now to the given folder on my computer.

3. Rockn

Rockn

Depends on the site. If it is a PHP or ASP site it will only download the HTML portion of the code since the active code never gets served to your browser. If you tried to dl this forum it would never work for you anyway since the underlying code is never served. There are some programs out there that will let you map an entire html based web site and dl the pages. Once it is downloaded as long as the directory structure for graphics or whatever is kept as it was on the web server it will run with no problem from your local drive. If there is a problem you can always set up PWS to run it locally.

As a matter of fact I think Visio will map entire web sites.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58601

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice