Downloading from pc to pc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

belalicia

Hi,
I have a new computer and I have no idea how to download all my software from my old computer to the new one. I have programs like Quicken and files with personal information that must be saved. For this reason I have to transfer everything to the new pc. HELP!!!!:confused:

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Well, there are lots of ways to do it. If both of them have Ethernet, you can pick up a $5 CAT5 crossover cable and network them. If you have a CD writer on the old one, you can write a couple of CD's with the data. The ubiquitous USB FLASH drives are yet another way to move stuff.

You can't move the software to the new Windows installation, you need to install it again. What you'll be moving is your data.

Super-D-38 said:
Well, it's rather involved, but you can "clone" your old hard drive to your new one..
Not sure how stable it would be...
Unless bothe PCs had identical hardware (unlikely in this case I believe) its guaranteed to be a nightmare under XP.

But the advice above re CD or networking, then reinstalling all the applications from original install CDs then transferring the user created data is all that is needed.

Or removing the old hard drive, installing it in a USB case and connecting it direct to the new PC is also effective.

For data of such importance, it should have been regularly backed up to CD or similar anyway, in which case its just a matter of using those backups to load onto the new PC, but some people underestimate the vulnerability of hard drives to sudden failure and do not perform such backups....

bassetman

Moderator (deceased) - Gone but never forgotten
Super-D-38 said:
Well, it's rather involved, but you can "clone" your old hard drive to your new one..
Not sure how stable it would be...

Though can win XP do that?... I've done it several times with win ME.

...I'll need to look into it..

Here is some reading about the subject.
http://www.mysuperpc.com/faq_old_new_hard_drive.shtml

But Welcome to TSG!! (y)

Good info at that link! (y)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online